Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so lately I've been trying to spend more time with my little ratties Violet and Zoe, so I took them to petsmart with me and let them chill on my shoulder while i walked around. The next day I took them to get their nails clipped and ever since I took them to get their nails clipped, they wont come near me! My rat Zoe used to always run to the door of the cage when she saw me and immediately after me opening the cage, she would climb all over me. Violet has always been kind of timid so I would have to go into the cage and scoop her up to get her to come out and have free time with me. Im really upset because my ratties are my world and im scared that they wont ever like me again and that this behavior is permanent. Those are my babies and I feel so lonely without them. Someone PLEASE help!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have they ever had their nails clipped before? Maybe they feel a bit defenseless or something? They may have been overstimulated by big things going on so close together.. maybe after a few chill free ranging sessions at home will help them relax and not expect a big trip.
How long has it been? I hope they snap out of it soon! I felt similar after giving one of my rats a bath :/

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It might sound really strange, but some rats do get passive aggressive... Our big girl Max is a very self important rat and demands respect. If I offend her by doing something she doesn't like she'll disappear for days and actively avoid me. Well, never to the degree of turning down treats, but she will take them and scurry back to her cabinet making sure I know she's only eating in protest. But she always gets over it, sometimes before I even get over feeling guilty.

You might have simply frightened your rats by taking them to have their nails clipped, or they may be sulking to prove a point, I suppose it depends on how you see your rats as to which explanation you feel more comfortable with. But rats almost always rebound pretty quickly and I sincerly doubt you have done any perminant damage to your relationship.

That said, with my true shoulder rats, I never clip their nails, sharp nails help them hang on to me when we travel, for better or worse rats falling off you when you are walking across a parking lot is never a good thing. I actually usually have the opposite problem with my rat's nails getting worn down too fast from concrete and blacktop and them falling off because their nails are too short on their own...

I guess it's different lifestyles, different problems.... Give it time and your rats will come around.

Best luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts