Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat is 1 year and 11 months old and is female recently she has had red gunk around her eyes it has gotten so bad that her eyes won't open, she is not breathing heavily or gasping but has weak breathing and heart rate, I can tell she has lost weight and sometimes she is really cold she's eating and drinking occasionally but not as much as she used to. But my MAIN concern is she is wobbly off balance and acts like she is chasing her tail and goes around in circles like her tail is scaring her it is almost like she is restless and won't stop for like 5 minutes and then lays down she sleeps all day and night except for a few drinks of water and a few pellets of food PLEASE HELP due to tomorrow being Veterans day some of the local vets will not be open I NEED OPINIONS and I NEED to know if she might be in pain or not because I can't tell because she isn't whimpering like she is or breathing heavily/gasping she has been this way for the past few days.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is she a lone rat? Typically tail chasing is related to extreme boredom or a neurological issue. Because she seems to be off balance and wobbly, I'd say it sounds neurological. If she is not eating as much/ drinking as much, try giving her foods like baby foods, soy milk, watermelon (tastes yummy and good for keeping her hydrated). The "red gunk" is porphyrin. A small amount is normal sometimes, in excess its not good. Even though some vets will be closed tomorrow, do your best to call around or if you have a vet you always go to, wait until wednesday when they are open and try to get in as soon as possible. (I would probably make an emergency appointment if I were you). Vets are good about getting emergency appointments in and if they are unable they will be able to point you in the direction of another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is a lone rat 2 of her cagemates died one of old age and one of respiratory infection and those were both in the last year i tried to get her another cagemate but they didn't get along at all. And thank you for your advice I will definitely try the watermelon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My vets (both for my cats and the one for my rats) don't close for Veterans Day so I think you should at least call and see if you can get her in. She could have an inner ear infection/upper respiratory infection which would explain the wobbly walking and maybe even the tail chasing. If you've ever had an inner ear infection, you know that it makes you feel like everything's spinning and your balance is off. She may just need a round of antibiotics to clear this up, but you won't know unless you take her in.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your girl and the stress of her illness, it must have been very worrying. Did the vet say what might have been wrong with her?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.