Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our boy yesterday, and I tried to hand feed him, which was a huge mistake. He’s already bitten and drawn blood. The pet store said they had a lot of problems with him too and that he often would bite them as well. I don’t want to give up on him, but I can’t have an aggressive rat because I’m not sure what to do with them if they are biters. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m not sure if I should give him a few more days to get acclimated and then try the holding him with a towel method?

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
430 Posts
I don't think you should force him to be held, you want him to associate you with good things like safety, food, and fun. You might want to try the metal spoon method where you give him a licking treat on a metal spoon, this way if he wants the treat he must lick it and if he tries to bite the spoon he will only get a bite of metal, if he does bite the spoon make a squeak noise and take the spoon with the treat away, the squeak teaches him that bites hurt, and taking it away shows that if he bites he won't get a treat. Use the spoon to lure your rat towards you, don't touch your rat yet, show him that being near you doesn't mean he will be touched, show him that he will be fine if he's near you. When you pass his cage open the door and throw some treats in to show that when you come it means treats. Spend some time near the cage just to get him used to your presence. If he's afraid of you or your skin then you will have to slowly desensitize him getting him used to your movement, and sounds, and eventually your touch. If he's territorial then you will have to desensitize him to your presence in and around the cage, for example, while giving him the spoon with the treat you can move things around in the cage so you are rewarding him for accepting you in his home.

If your rat freezes, grooms, puffs up his fur, or shows any other signs of annoyance or fear then just let him calm down or snap out of it before continuing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts