Rat Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
Context: my rats are over two years old and they came from feeder breeders (not the best genes and cheaper than a rattery bred). I am a teenager who got these rats when they were babies as pets, and my mother was the one who got them.

My first rat has a tumor that is big, and when I first noticed it when it was a bump (months ago) my mom refused to take it to the vet. I have a job and offered to drive to the vet myself and pay for whatever my rats need, my mom refused to let me leave. She says that my rats "were only 3 dollars and I can get new ones" but these rats are PRICELESS. My other rat just started to bleed from her vaginal area (she is not spayed).

I am reading all of these posts similar and it all says to go to the vet but my mom will not let me, even though I have my own job and money. She does not wash their cage, feed them, handle them, etc. She has never touched them their 2 1/5 years of their life! I cannot secretly go to the vet because my card is connected to her bank account, which she will see. She has threatened to kill the rats by boiling them or feeding them to the hawk outside my house if I annoy her too much. What do I do I am scared for my rats. They are my first pets and stuck with me through COVID. I have such a big attachment to them and I don't want them to suffer. What do I do?

My mom says there is no point in trying to convince her because she hates animals and only got them for me because I was able to take care of them, but she says she refuses to waste money on them no matter what. I don't want my rats to die painfully. What do I do if I cannot go to the vet?
No offense dude but your mom sounds like a heartless bitch. If its warm out then just put them in a carrier and walk to the vet or get a cab or something.

Registered
Big yikes
At that age, even if you could get them to the vet, surgery may not be viable. They're old and surgery might not end well. My personal choice would be putting one or both of them down or surrender them to a rescue.
If you have another guardian maybe try to work with them to get them to a better place. And I advise not to get another pet until after you move out because, again, yikes.
Some rescues may even have a volunteer come and pick them up if you call around and explain. Though once they're in they're hands you can't control of they put them down or proceed with surgery.
I'm sorry you're in such a predicament...
Yes but not all lumps are tumors. It could be an access, infection in mammary gland, etc. Two of my girls are twin Albino "feeder" rats. They are 4yrs old. One has a tumor that started to grow a yr ago. Slow progressing, so no surgery needed. Her sister has now developed a lump same spot! Mammary gland. They keep up with the 4 month old girls I got, eat Luke pigs, climb, jump, just slower. Aurora does show pain from time to time. I give her a extremely small mix of children's motrin, and children's Tylenol. She acts like she is young again. Look at grimace chart, and Google dosage. I gave less then recommended for a rat. Mix 8t well with yogurt, or something like that to help mask taste. Other then that, I would try to call a local animal no kill hospital, see if they can give you advice. I hope it works out.

Registered
Unfortunately, my family members are not fond of rats, let alone any animals. It took me years to convince my mom to get me rats (some home, school, and extracurriculars), but throughout their lives whenever family came over I had to hide them (no one can go to my room basically). Most of my family members don't even know I have rats, and I doubt they would want to take care of them. They don't like dogs or cats, so rats are probably out of the picture as well.

I am deciding to put them down due to their age and condition, since I have no idea how they would do in a shelter. I don't want to take them out of the place they lived in, especially so late and how their stress may be already. Most likely together because they were born and raised together, and one of them parting would be devastating to their physical and mental. My mom doesn't want me to go to the vet to put them down since it may be pricey, therefore I am planning to do an at home euthanasia. This is a way better option than smashing their heads with hammers or feeding them to hawks (which my mom wants to do). I have this video that I plan to follow, which by the comments seem to be peaceful for the ratties. "At Home Small Animal Euthanasia"

Thank you for your help
Please do not get any more pets. You could rehome the other if they have female rats. My girls are also considered "feeders". Both have tumors. They are 4 yrs old and doing extremely good. I don't know how you can do that. Have you thought about them squirming, crying, trying to get away? How about what if it doesn't work? Why would you murder the other one?

Registered
Also I got two new girls for when Aurora does pass Elsa has companions. They all bonded extremely well. I know not an option for you, but rehoming is!

Registered
I didn't read through everything but I say call your local Shelter and tell then your situation. When I was in this situation they had offered to treat my rat and give it back to me if it made a good recovery since not many other people would take rats in my area.

You will also just be sure that they are properly euthanized or given to good homes if you end up surrendering them.

You wanna definitely make a decision soon if you haven't already, goodluck :(

Registered
If I didn't have a reputation that was linked to my history of psychiatric hospitalization, then my family would be able to listen to my argument.
I'd like you to know that your family should listen to you regardless of your mental health history. It still matters what you have to say. They are wrong. I'm sorry, this sounds like a very difficult situation to be in.

I'm wondering if you maybe have a friend who could loan you the money for euthanasia at the vet and you could slowly pay them back in small amounts so your mom wouldn't notice? Just an idea.

If you do end up figuring out a way to get to the vet be sure to call around first and ask if they have experience euthanizing rats. The method is different than for cats and dogs and not every vet will have the tools to do it properly.

Lastly, if you need to just make them comfortable and give them lots of love until they pass at home, I think that is ok too. So many creatures on this planet (humans also) don't have the option of being put to death and I think there is something to be said about dying at home with loved ones, safe and warm in your own bed.

Best wishes to you 馃挏

Registered
Ah... I'd look to see if you have feeder breeders in your area with a CO2 chamber connected to a CO2 canister. It's a little more reliable and they're usually willing to do this for rat owners.
A proper CO2 set up will flood the chamber with CO2 far faster than baking soda and vinegar and render your rats unconscious within seconds due to CO2 poisoning.
HELLO ANIMAL ABUSER "馃憞
First and foremost you should not even be a rat owner you should not even be a replying to a teenage child that's trying to get advice on what to do with her rats there's plenty of ways for the vet to pay that bill for her and this is such a negative way of giving advice you should really kick yourself in the ass or hit yourself in the head for even thinking about putting this online..

Registered
Context: my rats are over two years old and they came from feeder breeders (not the best genes and cheaper than a rattery bred). I am a teenager who got these rats when they were babies as pets, and my mother was the one who got them.

My first rat has a tumor that is big, and when I first noticed it when it was a bump (months ago) my mom refused to take it to the vet. I have a job and offered to drive to the vet myself and pay for whatever my rats need, my mom refused to let me leave. She says that my rats "were only 3 dollars and I can get new ones" but these rats are PRICELESS. My other rat just started to bleed from her vaginal area (she is not spayed).

I am reading all of these posts similar and it all says to go to the vet but my mom will not let me, even though I have my own job and money. She does not wash their cage, feed them, handle them, etc. She has never touched them their 2 1/5 years of their life! I cannot secretly go to the vet because my card is connected to her bank account, which she will see. She has threatened to kill the rats by boiling them or feeding them to the hawk outside my house if I annoy her too much. What do I do I am scared for my rats. They are my first pets and stuck with me through COVID. I have such a big attachment to them and I don't want them to suffer. What do I do?

My mom says there is no point in trying to convince her because she hates animals and only got them for me because I was able to take care of them, but she says she refuses to waste money on them no matter what. I don't want my rats to die painfully. What do I do if I cannot go to the vet?

Thank you. I will definitely need to bribe my mom somehow, but not sure yet. Or secretly get there. I am not sure how vets work though because I don't have pet insurance and was never allowed to go to a vet. I also don't know if they would be confidential (if my mom suspected something and called the local vets and asked about me or my rats, would they tell my mom everything from visit to price?). I am saving up my tip cash so my card (linked to my mom's bank thing) wouldn't suspect. The tip money isn't enough because ever since I started working any cash would be given to my mom so she can transfer it to my card, but I don't know how to get my mom to trade back some of my money in my card to cash without her noticing. I would probably need to say that I want to go to a yard sale/craft fair or something.
hello and good morning I just like to say that you need to not listen to any of this advice that you're getting from these other people that are responding to your quote if they were truly rat lovers they would not give you the advice that they are giving and they should not own rats at all none of them some of them should actually have charges pressed against them for the advice that they're giving you first and foremost if you make plenty of phone calls to the vets around your area and talk to the vets there are programs out there that will pay for your vet bill if you lived it in the United States you just have to want it bad enough and look so that way your bill will be paid for by the vet second of all you can go online and find organizations or foundations that will help you in pain for your rat bill so you don't have to put it on your card third of all if your mother's truly like that I would severely look into youth organizations and moving in to somewhere where they can care for you properly if your mom is like that with animals then she does not need to be raising you at all and I'm sorry to tell you this but rats are beautiful wonderful animals and they deserve the best no matter how old they are.. please figure out organizations like I said in regards to the vet bill and if they have tumors mine also had tumors too and some of it can be cancerous and some of it can't be they don't igmmediately have to be removed but the older they get it is harder on them and if they are old at this time give them the best love the best care that you possibly can if you cannot get them in at this time if they're having difficulty breathing make sure you get them in immediately.
NUBBY2022

21 - 30 of 30 Posts