Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father found an abandoned baby mouse and gave it to me to take care of, I’ve been keeping the baby warm and feeding it, but I’m pretty sure the baby is bloated. I’m not quite sure what to do as I’ve given the baby tummy rubs before and after feeding and recently have been giving it more massages. I tried to use white Karo syrup to help the baby from being bloated, but it seems like it’s still having trouble. I’m not sure if it’s bloated or if I have a different problem :( I just want this baby to be okay.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
image.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
My father found an abandoned baby mouse and gave it to me to take care of, I’ve been keeping the baby warm and feeding it, but I’m pretty sure the baby is bloated. I’m not quite sure what to do as I’ve given the baby tummy rubs before and after feeding and recently have been giving it more massages. I tried to use white Karo syrup to help the baby from being bloated, but it seems like it’s still having trouble. I’m not sure if it’s bloated or if I have a different problem :( I just want this baby to be okay. View attachment 302821 View attachment 302822
Here's a guide I found Caring for a baby mouse

You didn't mention if you've been helping the baby go to the bathroom. I would look to start there, if you aren't already.

·
Registered
55 Posts
He/she looks pretty young. First off you'll need to find some type of milk to feed the baby- whole goat milk, and kitten/puppy formula mixed with 2x the recommended water works. Here's a video on raising orphaned mice:
Also you'll need to be prepared if the baby doesn't make it- there's a high chance of that, unfortunately.

Not sure about the bloated tummy, maybe someone else here can help you with that : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a guide I found Caring for a baby mouse

You didn't mention if you've been helping the baby go to the bathroom. I would look to start there, if you aren't already.
I have been helping the baby go to the bathroom, it’s tummy is a lot less bloated now, but it’s having some diarrhea so just recently I fed it some pedialyte with a the right amount of it’s watered down formula. Since it was just recently bloated I’m a little scared to feed it so I’ve been checking it’s belly and giving it tummy rubs to see if it has to potty or if it will help with the bloating

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been helping the baby go to the bathroom, it’s tummy is a lot less bloated now, but it’s having some diarrhea so just recently I fed it some pedialyte with a the right amount of it’s watered down formula. Since it was just recently bloated I’m a little scared to feed it so I’ve been checking it’s belly and giving it tummy rubs to see if it has to potty or if it will help with the bloating
I had this problem all the time when I was raising nine of my rats by hand because their mom died. It might be that you're not having it go to the bathroom often enough. Try making it go to the bathroom before then after feeding. Or maybe you're over feeding it.
Here's some tips on how to help uploaded rat, I hope it works for a mouse too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts