Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people say don't buy from pet stores, but that is my only option where I live.
I recently bought a baby rat from petsmart, his brother had died before I got him. But I don't know if that has anything to do with it ....
I have a large cage, a critter nation dupe, and it houses my four bigger boys, and then Mozart, my new baby. He's quite small.
I recently left my window open in my room for about a day and a half and it got cold in there. All my boys didn't mind, but Momo has been acting strange. I thought he was just cold ... But I've been coddling him and he's warm definitely now ... But he's still lethargic and off. He sways when he walks like he doesn't have enough energy to do whatever he's trying to do. I've seen him drink, but not eat yet. I am very worried .... Please help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there. First off, does he have red eyes? If not, does he whistle when he breathes or cough, or does he look strained? Is his fur at end? And is there any porpheryn coming from his eyes and nose excessively? Looks like red blood.

The best thing to do is take his and put his lungs to your ear and listen. It should sound clear. And make sure to do both.

·
Registered
870 Posts
How long have you had him? It's possible he has whatever killed his brother. Maybe you should take him back to PetSmart and see what they say. Some PetSmarts will try to nurse them back to health if the illness showed itself within a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Be careful about taking him back to Petsmart. If they offer to refund you and then let you "buy him back" he likely will not be available to buy back if they nurse him well enough to be put back on sale. I would let them take a look but don't take any offer to "buy him back" unless you truly feel you have no other options. Sometimes when things get really bad, we do have to take the only option, even if it doesn't look as good. I would certainly see a vet if you can, and if there are no vets in your area that treat rats, you can try Petsmart. I got my girls from Petsmart a couple of weeks ago and one of them was sick with pneumonia, the other with a URI. I took them to two different vets before they started improving, and now it seems that they are beginning to bounce back. It is possible to bring a rat back from the brink when they contract an illness from the pet store. Just make sure you're vigilant! Is your boy sneezing at all, or wheezing? Pull him close to your ear and listen to him as he breathes. If there is crackling of any kind, take him to the vet ASAP. He also could be under some stress if you just brought him home and introduced him. If he's not eating out of his bowl, try some yogurt or an easy-to lap-up treat and hand feed him. If he won't eat solid foods, try baby food, (again) yogurt, or simply try giving him some calories with pedialyte or gatorade through a needle-less syringe if you can't get him to eat anything at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has no outward signs of anything, his breathing sounds fine, although he does look to be breathing a little fast? I don't see anything on his fur, it's just as baby soft as it's always been. And his eyes are responsive and clear. He's just very very limp-like and lethargic. He's stopping drinking completely and won't eat. Can he eat regular human yogurt? I don't have any plain ... He feels sort of cold? Which doesn't seem right because my room was just muggy and hot because I originally thought that I had caused it by the room being chilly ...

And I don't have a vet to go to so petsmart is the only option, I am within the 14 days since purchase so I can take him back ... And if they don't let me buy him back after recovery, I will be very upset. However, he will be alive ... And that's the important thing. But I am going to fight tooth and claw to get him back if he pulls through. They sold me a sick little baby, they knew his brother had died the day before and still said he was okay to sell after I asked a few times to make sure .... They owe me this.
This will be my first rat loss if he goes and I haven't even had him that long but I am very distraught ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seperate that rat from the rest first of all....
If it's whatever his borther had, he could infect your other ratties!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Please be aware that this was in no way your fault. There was nothing you could have done. The fault is entirely with PetSmart. Try not to beat yourself up about something you were not responsible for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts