Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost Christmas! I have barley anything for my rats! (Not to mention the people). I don't have kids so that's not the problem. I am practically a kid myself. But every year I get things for:

1. 2 things for my mom. (Its her birthday two days after Xmas).
2. One thing for each of my 3 cousins.
3. 1 thing for each of my two aunt and uncle.
4. 2 things for my rats, and stocking stuffers.
5. Two things for my cat, ad stocking stuffers.
6. 2 things for my two rabbits.
7. 1 for 2 things for my dad.
8. One thing my sister
9. One for my brother.
10. One thing for the poultry. (Chickens, ducks, geese).

I am not sure were this thread go's, but I hope this is the right one. If anyone has a suggestion, that I don't have to buy (already spent a lot this year lol), that would be great. I am having trouble with the people a lot. And the other animals, so I'm stressed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Home made toys are always a favorite for my animals. As for the people, it really depends on what they like. You could make candy and package it up real nice. Draw or paint them a picture. Any thing that youre good at! I make most of my christmas gifts, to give you an idea this is what in doing this year:

For my sister/mom/cousins, I am making some jewelry and also little jewelry dishes. Small saucers and animal figurines for 50 cents each at the thrift store, spray painted them all white, glued the animals on the plates.

Almost everyone has a dog so for about $10 I have enough ingredients to make a hundred dog treats.

My mom gave me two wooden stools she didnt need any more and im painting scenes on them for each grand parent.

The rats are getting home made treats and new hammocks I made as well as a couple fleece scrap toys. The cats arent getting anything bc they have enough toys and they dont know any better lol plus I want to get them a new scratching tree after christmas.

Pintrest and Buzzfeed have lots of great cheap DIY ideas!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My chickens used to love a handful of tinned corn as a treat, perhaps that would be an inexpensive gift for them? And for Aunts/Uncles, even mom & dad, how about a "voucher" for you to wash their car, or help wash their windows, or something similar? I'd love an offer of future help with chores like that! If you felt generous, you could even do a little selection of offers, with a little sketch on each page, stapled into a booklet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something I have made this year for a friend and their partner is a "roll a snowman" game. I have cut two pieces of felt to fit in a box, two plain white felt snowman, basic felt hats, felt scarves, felt "twig" arms and mouths. I also gathered a selection of buttons from my button box, and a dice. I glued the snowmen to the big piece of felt, and wrote a card to fit in the box, along the lines of "roll 1 - add a hat, roll 2 - add button eyes, roll 3 - add a scarf or hat, roll 4 - add a mouth, roll 5 - add arms, roll 6 - add buttons. The first to complete their snowman wins, but must make a warm drink for themselves and the loser."

I traced the snowman, hat and scarf shapes from the Internet! And added white glitter around the instruction card :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please look here if you have a good imagination, know how to make things or c...

And I'm making jars of beef jerky and dried mushrooms for my brother and father... And husband! They all like home made far more than shop bought!

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the rats, it does t have to be big or fancy to be fun! I fund today that the cardboard tubes in toilet paper rolls fit perfectly inside an empty paper handkerchief box. With a bit of coaxing, I now have a tissue box filled snugly with toilet roll tubes (two rows of 4), each containing some tasty treats (kibble, grain, dry pasta etc). The boys also seem to love that I left a few sheets on one or two of the rolls. They have to work to get to the treats inside the tubes, and might even have a box to play in once the treats are gone, unless they destroy it in the process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could look up a recipe for a microwave cake in a mug, write the recipe/instructions with Sharpie on a plain white mug (sharpie normally comes off with alcohol gel if you make a mistake), and put small food bags with the Pre-measured ingredients inside the mug. Or write the recipe on a card and put it inside a pretty mug, as then it won't wash/wear off with time.

Sorry if there are a sea of replies from me, I keep thinking of something and coming back to post it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My rats all LOVE their large space pod, especially if it's hanging on the top of the cage. All 5 will cram in there at once. One of my rats especially loves her small soft cup bed (I dunno if that's what you call it?). She's in there 99% of the time when there's a sleeping to be had, rather than any of the other 4 places to sleep. The other rats like it too, and there will often be 2 or 3 jammed in at once and spilling out the sides. Good luck for the rest of your gifts! I just thought I'd share my rat's favorite things :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21305 (Everyone's favorite)
http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/t...mini-cozy-cup-zid36-14433/cat-36-catid-600014 (Mouse's favorite bed)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts