Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the littlest ones my daughter brought home is NOT doing well this morning. Since last nite I swear he looks as if he has lost nearly half of his body weight (how is that possible??) and he looks as if he is panting. He had a bloody discharge dried on his nose (polyphorin or whatever its called maybe??) and he isnt wanting to drink or eat unless we hold and encourage him to do so.

It is 640 am right now and the vet doesnt open for another 2 hours or so and the emergency vet doesnt see rodents (**** them). As soon as my vet opens I WILL be in the parking lot wiht this sweet baby.

Please, does this sound like anything any of you have ever seen before? Is there a way I can help to make him more comfortable until the vet opens? Any advice or information would be so appreciated right now.

Thank you

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got some more information.

The little guy in question above was put in wiht the other little one (the sorta hairless one) only after 2 or 3 days of QT. The sorta hairless one was having some breathing issues on Saturday, but by sunday he was 100%.

I dont know if that helps or not. Should I bring them both into the vet? Just to be safe? Or am I flipping out as I have a tendency to do?

Gosh I hope someone signs on soon!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
For the one that is not eating or drinking, I would recommend trying some baby food or apple sauce until you can get him to the vets... if you can get him to eat it, not only will it give him some food, it will help rehydrate him, too.

If the other one has been exposed to your sick boy, I think it would be wise to get him checked over, too... some illnesses can lay dormant, so he may still be sick, if he was sick, even though he appears to be feeling better now.

Good luck with the vets!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
No problem. If he does perk up a bit, you could also try and give him some melon... anything you can to keep him hydrated until the vet can see him. I haven't dealt with sick rats, yet *touches wood* but we have hundreds of baby squirrels in at the rescue where I work and with the sick ones, we can help them much quicker when they are hydrated properly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rahhh! My vet is in surgery and cannot see him until 4 this afternoon!
He will drink his water if I hold him and encourage him to do so.
He wont do it on his own.

He ate a bit of yogurt and a bite of a peach. And I know this sounds odd, but Id SWEAR he did it just to make me happy. He just looks miserable.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Eep! Maybe look around for another vet in the meantime? Until then, I would just try not to stress him out too much, but keep him hydrated to keep some strength and fight in him... and let him get some rest, too. I'm pleased you manage to get him to eat and drink a little bit.

I meant to say before, in case you don't know, you can tell if an animal is dehydrated if you pinch their skin gently and it stays there, or is slow to return. In a properly hydrated animal, the skin will return immediately.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remembered the hydration test from when I worked as a nurse years ago before I went back to school to learn yet another career lol. And yes, he was very dehydrated.

One thing Ive noticed about my rats is that they seem to eager to please. Its such a human emotion that it seems freaky- - is that just part of a rats behavioral make up?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update on baby blue & fuzzy

Got them to the vet (it was supposed to not be till 430 today, but I just went in and they saw us - yay! persistance...something to be said for it).

They are keeping both of them for treatment for the next couple of days and then we can bring them home. I wasnt expecting this at all. But they were very helpful and accomadating.

Go figure!

Thank you everyone who responded to me freaking out earlier this morning - I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
(I've merged this with the original thread so people don't get confused)

I'm so glad you got them in early. What is the problem? What are they treating them for?

I hope you are able to relax a bit, now!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are not sure exactly. they know its myco but they are thinking there is another resp. issue going on.

Im way more relaxed - but still a bit worried. Im going to see them in the morning and hopefully get the results of the tests.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Myco is just the underlying cause. The respiratory infection is the one you need to treat. All rats have myco but when the immune system gets depressed the myco flares up allowing a secondary (usually URI) infection to rear its ugly head. :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Aww poor guys ):

I've seen this a lot with really young rats that are sold too early lately. Not personally but I have seen many posts that sound like yours (that includes way too young rats having bad respitory attacks really quickly). I hope he does alright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts