Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I’m really worried and puzzled about my new rat of almost three weeks, and I would LOVE some help.

I got two new little rattie girls 2.5 weeks ago, and when I brought them home, one of them would sneeze all the time when she was awake. (She had been in two homes in two days during transport and had these sneezes when I picked her up from the transporter so I figured they were new home sneezes.) However, her sneezing has gone down considerably, but she still has these sneezes a bit when interacted with or she’s moving around and exploring. The other new rat has never sneezed, and neither rat has had ANY other symptoms. I didn’t have the space to be able to put them in different air spaces, and her sneezing had gone down so much that I thought introducing them to my other rat would be okay.

Now they’re all three living in the same cage and all love each other. The other two rats still have zero symptoms. I called the vet too, because even though her sneezing had gone down quite a bit, she still had them. After describing what was going on, the vet thought it sounded like myco, so I set up an appointment. Even though the rattie wasn’t sneezing all the time, the sneezes were still there and I really just wanted peace of mind. So, two weeks after I got them, we were off to the vet.

At the vet, she was thoroughly checked and out and she checked out totally perfect and healthy - heart, lungs, nose, eyes, everything. The vet rules out things like myco and URI and just tells me to keep an eye on her. Now I bring her home and I’ve become totally paranoid that there’s still something wrong with her, and that my other two rats are going to show symptoms. I’m driving myself crazy! It’s now two days later, and I can hear the sneezing rat make little sniffing noises when she sniffs - I wouldn't say she's wheezing by any means - it’s more like the noises that we make when we breath in and out of our nose, but there are definitely noises there that I can hear when I put my ear up to the bars when she’s right on the other side. There’s also been a couple times today that she didn’t come out of her home when hearing the treat bag crinkling, and she usually LEAPS out to get a treat, but she was sleeping, so I have to remember that.

I’m tempted to call the vet AGAIN and make ANOTHER vet visit. The problem is, I really can’t afford a vet visit every week and I don’t want the vet to think I’m crazy. Does this rat sound worrisome to any of you, or am I just overreacting? I’m driving myself crazy with worry here :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay well now I'm thinking I'm just overreacting on the sniffing part, because the sniffing is NOTHING like this or anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=31&v=WW7JAN7VuwE . It's very, very, very mild compared to this. My rat literally just sounds like a human with an unplugged nose sniffing through their nose fast, except a hundred times smaller, in rat form.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts