Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rat ash is starting to get into to the habit of drizzling or peeing a little on me or the couch and I don't want him to do it constantly because then I can't have him out of his cage, what can I do to stop this habit?

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of males do that.. It's not really him peeing on you, it's marking his territory. It's a natural thing, some females do it as well. I don't believe there's a way to make them cut it out, my older boys are masters of it. Don't not take him out, instead maybe keep a blanket or a towel you don't mind throwing in the wash after on you and the couch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As has been said its perfectly natural for him to do this and there's not a lot you can do about it unfortunately.
Keep a towel or something handy or maybe a packet of wet wipes

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have females, and they do it too, both of them do. I suspect they also pee out of happiness because it happens a lot when they play, or when they see me after a long time - they pee on my arms and hands.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Some rats I've had did it and some rats just get it upsets me and stop. Neither of my current rats scent mark me indoors, outdoors they will tag me and leave marks so they can return to certain way points and not get lost in unfamiliar places.

I don't think I have a particular method, I think they just get I'm not happy to be peed on.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boys do this too. I keep baby wipes on hand and throw an old tee or hoody on during playtime. They don't really pee on me much now though. After freerange is over I go about the edge of the room and any other likely places and mop up any puddles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know it's not attractive, but I've got my couches completely covered in old blankets for when the rats are out playing. The blankets actually serve two purposes- they prevent my girls from burrowing into the couch because they can't while it's covered in a blanket; and it protects my furniture from being scent marked. Blankets are a lot easier to throw in the washer.

My girls never pee/scent mark me, although there have been a couple of tinkle accidents when I've kept them out and away from their litter box too long. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go! But as a rule, they don't pee on me. They are very well litter trained so they usually wait until they get back in their cage to go.

I have noticed though that they can sometimes be nervous tinklers. When I get home from work and they are very excited to see me, there will often be some dribbling in the cage while they're running around and wiggling from excitement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yep old blankets and old clothes for free time, and actually they are much better about not using the bathroom while they are out with me. I couldn't tell you why just that I'm cleaning less yay!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine love doing it on the couch! Especially Rascal. The couches are his special huge litter box! Doesn't matter how much I take him off the couch and say 'no', he still does it. They don't do it anywhere else. They scent mark on me though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts