Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious situation. I was out in the woods on a trail with some friends and our dogs. My friends dog ended up catching a baby mouse. I guess when he picked it up with his mouth he was extremely rough and snapped its spine because now his back legs don't work! I'm very upset. He's still alive! I fed him some diluted kitten milk and he ate some. But I have no idea what to do. I've had hedgehogs and bunnies al my life but I never took care of a mouse. His body is a little bigger then a quarter. Will he make it? Surprisingly he's still active he uses his front legs to get around. Doesn't seem weak either

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a serious situation. I was out in the woods on a trail with some friends and our dogs. My friends dog ended up catching a baby mouse. I guess when he picked it up with his mouth he was extremely rough and snapped its spine because now his back legs don't work! I'm very upset. He's still alive! I fed him some diluted kitten milk and he ate some. But I have no idea what to do. I've had hedgehogs and bunnies al my life but I never took care of a mouse. His body is a little bigger then a quarter. Will he make it? Surprisingly he's still active he uses his front legs to get around. Doesn't seem weak either
Poor baby mouse. It sounds like you're taking good care of him, so he'll probably make it. Although he's also not releasable, I'm afraid. Is he a deer mouse, maybe?

I've hand reared a week old house mouse baby I found in our basement (eyes were still closed) successfully once, thanks to some online information. One important thing mentioned was that they can't really go potty on their own (depending on how young they are), so I had to mimic the mother mouse's licking action by using moistened cotton swabs to encourage them to pee/poo after feedings.

You've probably found some good online info already, but here's another good one: http://www.wildliferehabilitators.org/rodents.html

Good luck, and hope he makes it. xo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts