Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I had to put my very special girl Tella to sleep early this morning. She was bleeding out her nose and mouth and struggling to breathe, vet thinks it could have been heart failure. It was very sudden and last night and this morning was very traumatic for me and my other day, Donna.
They were very close and Donna actually alerted me to Tella's strange behavior last night.
Donna is looking really depressed. She's sitting in the corner of her cage, won't eat and won't even go in her favorite place (her hammock).
How can I help her with her grief?
I don't want to rush out and get a new rat for the sake of it but would it help her?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Rat Mouse Mammal Muridae Hamster

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
This is a very hard time for you both and a new furry friend will very likely be good for both of you, but for now and until you are emotionally ready you can spend time together and help each other through the difficult times....

My sincerest condolences on your loss.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been told that extra love and attention and treats for the surviving rat help in situations like this. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

A similar thing happened to me recently--one of my rats was bleeding from his nose and gasping for air and died suddenly (no time to get him to the vet, and we never found out the cause, but some people here suggested it may have been a heart attack). It was very traumatic for me and I am so sorry you experienced something similar. His cagemate, Odin, was left alone and pretty listless afterward, and usually he's very hyper. We were worried about him slipping into depression. So we actually did get two new slightly younger rats for him, as he lives in a huge cage. They did seem to cheer him up and keep his mind occupied (even though there has been some squabbling). They may be what helped keep him from wasting away from not eating. So getting a new rat soon may be something you may want to consider if Donna is feeling that depressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.