Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but I wanted to reach out to you all about an urgent food toxicity issue. Not knowing that the skin of the avocado was toxic, I fed my rats some avocado I scraped off of the rind about 30 minutes ago. So far, I haven't noticed any big changes in their behavior— though one of my rats has been "sneezing" more than usual. What should I do? Is this a serious issue? If it matters, the amount was very small, probably about a 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon max. for each rat.

Thanks so much
-Wiggy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey again,

Quick update: I called one of the vets from the exotic vets list, and they said because it was such a small amount the rats should be OK. FYI for anyone else in this situation, she said rats usually recover from avocado related sickness within a couple of days, even if it's a larger amount. Good news, but lesson learned. I will be avoiding avocado in the future.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
I can't say for sure my rats actually ever ate any avocado rinds, but they do dumpster dive the kitchen trash and they love avocados with a passion...

I suppose I'd watch for your rats getting lethargic and squishy, that's what happened when Fuzzy Rat ate a poison mushroom... She regurgitated the mushroom in the back seat of my car after staggering around looking stoned for about an hour. The vet told us to keep her hydrated and we gave her milk thistle to protect her liver, it helps with mushroom toxins, I don't know about other poisons. We had a very sick rat and it was touch and go all night, but she pulled through.

Again, I can't say whether or not our rats eat the rinds, nor would I promise that all rats can eat avocados but for sure avocado flesh doesn't bother ours in the least.

On the other hand, we had one rat that would dumpster dive for and tunnel into peach pits to eat the seed... she also never got sick... still, it's a food I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone try. As any exterminator will tell you rats have a pretty good tolerance for most toxins.

I'd watch for signs of lethargy and perhaps call a knowledgeable vet for some advise. I wouldn't necessarily rush out to the vets... as the emergency vet told us, in the case of mushroom poisoning, all they could do was keep Fuzzy Rat hydrated and hope for the best. Fuzzy Rat was still drinking a lot of water we treated her at home.

Best luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
Our posts crossed... so it's good to hear that the vet had good news for you.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top