Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister just adopted 2 male fancy rats on craigslist,
Leprauchan and Spartan!
Leprachaun is quite happy and active,
But spartan doesnt seem ok.
Hes just sitting there heavily breathing with a
what seems like painful squeak after every breath!
Does he have a respiratory infection!?!?
Plz Help Me Out!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sounds like he needs a vet ASAP or he could develop lung damages if he hasn't already ): It's either a respitory or Chronic Heart Failure. He needs to go to the vet and get on Baytril and Doxy combo or a Baytril and Zithro combo or similar STRONG medicine combo or else he might end up like my Odin ):

That's just horrible that someone would dump their sick rat in need on someone else ):

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woa Nevermind Hes looking better and not sqeaking!
He must just have been in shock!
Thx for the help tho =D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
oh good luck, please let us know how he holds up the first day or two. is there anything specific that happened that might have put him in shock?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Is he still breathing heavily? I would keep a close eye on him.

Vet cost vary per area. I know my vet charges $45 for a vet visit and meds vary. Baytril is $25 and prednisone is $14. At first I got shocked at every little vet cost but really considering they go to school for the same amount of time as DOCTORS and yet that's all they charge it's not that bad. Besides, you take in a pet you agree to take care of it no matter what the cost. $100 to keep a pet happy and healthy for the rest of it's life is practically pennies compared to human health care. I mean, that's not even one paycheck for me.

Rats although cheap at first are very expensive creatures. I know Odin was in the $500-$600 range when it was all said and done. I wish it could of helped him more ): His lungs were just too damaged. And that is after a span of five months too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It was probably just stress, the stress of moving and being in a new environment, none the less you should monitor him closely over the next 48 hrs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Poppyseed - When you said that it is either an infection or congestive heart failure... are you a doctor or were you just guessing?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just looking at the symptoms you listed. I'm not a vet but I've had a couple boys with breathing problems and it's what the vet told me.

Unfortunately even after x-rays and lots of care, both the boys that were breathing heavily didn't end up making it. One lasted a month, the other lived with it for around five months before it had gotten horrible enough that I had to put him down.

If he is breathing hard: Take him to a vet asap. But if he is fine now... I would still want to take him to the vet. But if money is tight and he is fine I would just watch him like a hawk for any similar instance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Poppyseed said:
Just looking at the symptoms you listed. I'm not a vet but I've had a couple boys with breathing problems and it's what the vet told me.
Then you should probably be more specific about that. People who are not doctors should not be giving out Rx information and diagnosing things like it is a fact.

Poppyseed said:
Unfortunately even after x-rays and lots of care, both the boys that were breathing heavily didn't end up making it. One lasted a month, the other lived with it for around five months before it had gotten horrible enough that I had to put him down.
I'm so sorry...

Poppyseed said:
If he is breathing hard: Take him to a vet asap. But if he is fine now... I would still want to take him to the vet. But if money is tight and he is fine I would just watch him like a hawk for any similar instance.
Amen.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
In all fairness, the sentence before that was that the rat needed to see a vet now. I don't think she had any intention of diagnosing over the internet. She's probably right, most breathing problems with rats are URIs or CHF.

But yeah, no. Vet, ASAP.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I did not mean to diagnose or sound like that. I was just posting. Get off your high horse already Sparker! I did say go to a vet. I'm sorry I wasn't so concise and particular about my meaning!!

I know I shouldn't of mentioned drugs that are needed at all BUT I have had two rats who have dealt with this problem and were only given Baytril and am getting to the point I am noticing many vets do not deal strongly enough with this type of problem. I fully think my vet didn't hit Odin's problem hard enough in the beginning so his lungs developed abscesses. I can't PROVE this but it seems to be a general of rat owners who think this may be the case.

Regardless of if your a vet or not, I think it's good for a owner to know a little something about what the problem possibly is so if a vet were to claim knowledge on an area not many are knowledgeble in (such as rats) an owner can research the treatments prescribed and know if that is close to what is normally done. Like for instance (and it has happened) a rat was sneezing porphyrin and lethargic and was only given vitamins by their vet, they should know that is not a good method of treatment and antibiotics would be preferred. And in knowing that, they know to find a more knowledgeable vet asap.

http://ratguide.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=labored+breathing

·
Registered
520 Posts
Poppyseed said:
Get off your high horse already Sparker!
Wow. Uh...

Poppyseed said:
Regardless of if your a vet or not, I think it's good for a owner to know a little something about what the problem possibly is so if a vet were to claim knowledge on an area not many are knowledgeble in (such as rats) an owner can research the treatments prescribed and know if that is close to what is normally done. Like for instance (and it has happened) a rat was sneezing porphyrin and lethargic and was only given vitamins by their vet, they should know that is not a good method of treatment and antibiotics would be preferred. And in knowing that, they know to find a more knowledgeable vet asap.
I completely agree with everything you said here. Very good points.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe that was a little too harsh. I can see your point. I was just trying to help. Either way it seems as if the poster isn't here anymore so it's a moot point.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm realizing that maybe I come off as snotty... or something. I never mean to - and it is hard when you can't see facial expressions or hear tone.

"are you a doctor or were you just guessing?" was rude of me, and I'm sorry.

*sigh*

-Sarah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts