Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I notice all three of my rats were thin, cold, and puffed up. My past rat rosy had all these symptoms and died not long after. I really need to do something. Last time, I ordered Baytril and Amoxocillin but it didnt get here in time. Now I have it. I'm just not sure if I should use it. Is it myco or pnemonia? My mum knows some stuff about meds a little but we are having trouble with this. The baytril is 10% and we need to know how much per mg. And is it given oraly? It's a liquid. Should I dilute it? In what, water or baby food? The amox 250 mg tablets for fish. How should that be given? And we are going out to buy dark chocolate and oil of oregano later today. She advises giving them chicken broth. Is that fine? Haha sorry for all the questions but I'm so scared for their sake. I really can't let them die right now. I've been really depressed lately and I wouldn't be able to keep going. They are my life and always manage to cheer me up. Thanks again people XXX

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The amount you give will depend on how much the rats weigh, its not possible for us to tell you a dosage without that. If you can weigh each of your girls then I’m sure someone can help, if not I will pick it up when I’m back on (or pm me if I’m being slower than a day, I’m mid moving house so life is chaotic).

In terms of if its pneumonia or myco, I suspect it’s actually a virus of some sort. For all 3 of your rats to be unwell at the same time says it’s most likely to be something they’ve caught. The main 3 viruses that cause respiratory symptoms in rats are SDAV (usually you see some eye problems and neck gland swellings with this one), Sendai and Bordetella (yep a type of this causes kennel cough in dogs, this can be passed to rats, even from a vaccine). All three of these are very serious conditions and can kill, especially older or infirm rats in a group. Unfortunately being viruses you can’t fix them with medication. Instead by putting them on antibiotics you can treat any secondary infection (such as if the virus triggers a myco flare up), this won’t necessarily help, but could help a bit. The main thing is to keep them hydrated and eating, oh and make sure they are warm. Also if you think it is viral make sure you don’t let your rats anywhere near other rats, and if you go and see someone with other rats change your clothes and shower between handling your rats and there’s. I hope if this is a virus its one of the milder forms.

Just for info myco and pneumonia are not necessarily different things. Myco is a bacterial infection of the lungs, pneumonia is a lower respiratory infection. So pneumonia can be caused by the myco bacteria, or by another bacteria. The best way to guess if its pneumonia rather than a normal myco infection (or Upper respiratory infection) is to see if they are flank breathing. If they are breathing with there sides then the chances are the infection is deep enough that there’s pneumonia going on, couple that with a lower than normal body temperature and a sick looking rat and you know its very serious. These symptoms can occur overnight and kill in days even with meds.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will try to weigh them. They look much better now. I believe they are breathing with there sides. I don't know where they could have caught anything. I don't bring them places and they live in my room without contact to other animals. They are acting almost exactly like rosy did a week or two before she died. Except that they can eat, she could not. Thank you for taking the time to write that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.