Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 y.o female rat developed classic signs of mycoplasma about 1 week ago. I began baytril when no improvement was seen after 2 days. She progressively has gotten worse and we took her to an exotic vet yesterday. I was under the impression that the vet would choose to euthanize her but to my surprise they advised to keep treating. They gave her fluids in the office and prescribed a nebulizer mix with antibiotics/ bronchodilator as well as PO azithromycin and PO prednisone. We came home and administered the meds / nebulizer treatment but sadly she has not improved and even declined slightly. I am asking for ideas about what I should do next ... the vet is 1.5 hrs away and I do not have unlimited funds to give critical care treatment. Should we give her a longer chance to fight it off or should we end her suffering. I am very conflicted because she is so tough but she is not eating or drinking ANYTHING and forceful syringe feedings are stressful for her. She is using her abdominal muscles to breathe and you can hear wheezing / squeaking/ sniffling with every breath... she is not blue or cold but I do not want to prolong this unless she has a chance. Has anyone had a similar situation? Does this tend to get worse before improving? I'm open to any ideas and just need people to talk to about this. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
My 2 y.o female rat developed classic signs of mycoplasma about 1 week ago. I began baytril when no improvement was seen after 2 days. She progressively has gotten worse and we took her to an exotic vet yesterday. I was under the impression that the vet would choose to euthanize her but to my surprise they advised to keep treating. They gave her fluids in the office and prescribed a nebulizer mix with antibiotics/ bronchodilator as well as PO azithromycin and PO prednisone. We came home and administered the meds / nebulizer treatment but sadly she has not improved and even declined slightly. I am asking for ideas about what I should do next ... the vet is 1.5 hrs away and I do not have unlimited funds to give critical care treatment. Should we give her a longer chance to fight it off or should we end her suffering. I am very conflicted because she is so tough but she is not eating or drinking ANYTHING and forceful syringe feedings are stressful for her. She is using her abdominal muscles to breathe and you can hear wheezing / squeaking/ sniffling with every breath... she is not blue or cold but I do not want to prolong this unless she has a chance. Has anyone had a similar situation? Does this tend to get worse before improving? I'm open to any ideas and just need people to talk to about this. Thank you!

Just like with people, it can take some time for the meds to start working.
Did they send you home with just one dose of the meds or with a full treatment plan?
If it was just the one dose - call the vet and tell them what you've stated here.
If they sent you home with a course of treatment, I would at least keep trying. The meds are already paid for - so why not use them.
At the very least - give her another day to see if the meds kick in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we were sent home with over 1 week of treatment... I just do not want to prolong her suffering if the prognosis is very poor ... maybe I am overestimating her distress but it is just hard to watch that labored breathing. I'm trying to get a local vet to give her subQ saline now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Yes we were sent home with over 1 week of treatment... I just do not want to prolong her suffering if the prognosis is very poor ... maybe I am overestimating her distress but it is just hard to watch that labored breathing. I'm trying to get a local vet to give her subQ saline now!
I get that .. I totally do.
But you haven't really given the meds a chance to work.
It's totally your call now .... but perhaps a day or two will make the decision clearer?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
360 Posts
The fact she is not eating or drinking anything is very worrying, did you tell the vet this? If she's in pain and not possible to recover it may be the best thing for her to pts considering her age, but the vet should be able to advise you on this. Not to be taken lightly of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I told the vet she was not eating or drinking and she just said to hand feed her ... i have been trying that but it is super stressful for her since she still has lots of fight left to wiggle and dodge the syringe .... we have an appointment today and I will tell this new vet the situation and hope they give me a more clear answer about what to do... I definitely want her to survive but I would probably rather pull the trigger early vs have her suffocating and not be able to do anything about it. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Yes I told the vet she was not eating or drinking and she just said to hand feed her ... i have been trying that but it is super stressful for her since she still has lots of fight left to wiggle and dodge the syringe .... we have an appointment today and I will tell this new vet the situation and hope they give me a more clear answer about what to do... I definitely want her to survive but I would probably rather pull the trigger early vs have her suffocating and not be able to do anything about it. Any thoughts?

Any update? How is she doing?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top