Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately in the past few months spike has gotten slow and now for the past two days he hasn't been eating. He's lost weight and his breathing is funny. I thought his breathing was off days ago and I made a post about it and his tumor but my fiance told me I was crazy that he was fine just old. I listened to him cuz I know he is old, but still. I was worried and have been watching. He breathing is heavy with clicking sounds tonight. He's been getting progressively worse the past few days. He won't eat anything tonight. He's just laying on my chest. I want to take him to the vet...i wanted to days ago. But again... Fiance said it was pointless. So I didn't. I plan on getting to get him to the vet asap in the morning. But are the guna help any? The last time I went, they have me meds for a respiratory infection and my other boy splinter died soon after. I thought it was old age... But maybe it wasn't? No idea what to do? I'm thinking pneumonia maybe? Is it too late to save him? I'm afraid to go to the vet bit I'm afraid not too. I shouldn't have listened to my fiance. Idk if he'll make it thru the night now. Idk what to do. I hate this. I'm so frustrated. I hate that I just can't make I it better now. I feel like a horrible mother and I feel like if he passed it will be all my fault.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel so stupid

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This could be respiratory bit also could be heart. Later symptoms of heart failure involve fluid on the lungs and you get the slowing down and lethargy with that. woth both issues the vet can help with meds. In some cases your boy could get fully better. The thing woth all these cases is there are no garuntees, he could have something else wrong worth him that won't respond to meds or it could be too advanced. i will say though you tend to regret not going to the vets far more than you do going and the longer you leave it the less likley he will make out if it is fixable

·
Registered
244 Posts
I, too, hope you do take him to the vet. Ismurat made great points----I'd regret not going to the vet. I have never, ever regretted going to the vet. Even if the vet tells you there's nothing you can do, at least you have the peace of mind knowing you've done everything you can. I also agree that the longer you wait the more difficult it can be to heal. It took me awhile to get to this point----now, whenever I think something's wrong, I don't hesitate to take my rat to the vet.

I hope he's made it through the night and that you were able to get him in to see a veterinarian experienced with rats. Thinking positive for you and your rat!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. I appreciate the help. I tend to freak out. I took him to the vet as soon as they opened in the morning. They unfortunately couldn't do anything. They said it wasn't pneumonia or respiratory. They didn't know what was causing him not to do well and as he was being seen he passed away in my arms. I completely lost it in the vets office. I was bawling my eyes out. They felt so bad they didn't even charge me for anything. I still burst into tears just thinking about him. I still don't know why he passed, but I am glad he got to pass away in my arms. I miss him so much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify I took him to the vet the morning after I made the original post, the morning of the 21st, not this morning.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It sounds like heart failure. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I feel for you, smknowitall101. It's never easy losing such a precious loved one. I cry like crazy even when one of mine is being euthanized. I completely understand how devastating it is. Do you have other rats right now?

It is good you were with him when he died. Hang in there. Thinking of you with much compassion and support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts