Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my list of rat issues keeps getting longer. It turns out my newer rat blueberry has pneumonia, and her buddy kiwi has an upper respitory inferction. They are on meds now, but the issue is blueberry had a litter of 14, 2 weeks ago, and we have lost 4 of the babies. :cry:

I think blueberry being that she is sick is not producing enough milk becasue they were all once chubby, and now some are terribly skinny. I have tryed supplementing them, but they are not interested.
The babies that have died have all had crusty noses, and have had terrible labored breathing before they passed. Could they have contracted the pheumonia? And if so, will the meds. help clear them up too or do you think its too late? There are still 5 chubby ones, do you think they stand a chance?

I am so upset becasue they were doing so well and now everday I wake up to a dead baby, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can so. I now its nature but nature can sure suck sometimes. If anyone has any suggestions about pneumonia in rats and somethings that can help them please let me know, I don't think I can lose all the babies and blueberry, I am too much of an emotional sap for all this.
Thanks
Kelsey

·
Registered
138 Posts
they could of contracted an infection or maybe pneumonia. I don't know that much about rat pneumonia but I do know it's serious and unless you hand feed those babies(what kind of formula are you using) they don't stand a chance. If the don't take it you have to force feed them. Do you know a pet store or a friend that has a mother you can use? If the Blueberry is sick you shouldn't have her around the babies.
I wish I could tell you more but I've never been in this perdicament. I had a friend with a pneumonia rat but that story didn't end so well.

I hope everything turns out okay

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
What meds are your girls on? There are only a few meds that are safe for nursing moms. All those meds are going into the pups along with the milk. How sick is Blueberry? Is it a mild URI?
Your other rat with pneumonia? Think of it like a severe URI, way down deep in her lungs. She will need to be kept warm, hydrated, strong medications, etc.

What did the vet say for her?

basically, what meds, for how long and what dosages?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blueberry is on baytril, and kiwi is on a lower dose. Now the vet said that blueberry had pneumonia and she is the mom, but she doesnt appear to be that sick, she still has a big appetite, and I never hear and wheezing, the only symtpm seems to be some sneezing.

The vet said she was going to find a med. that was okay for the babies, but from what Ive have researched it seems baytril may not be good for them, but Im not sure if there is any other options.
We lost 2 more babies last night so we are down to 8 from 14. But the remaining seem to be pretty healthy, there is only one small one and he has a crusty nose, but I have been feeding him and holding him over a sink full of hot water for the steam and it seems to be working becasue his nose got a little runny and I was wiping it off with a warm cloth and it finally cleared up. Because before this his nose was crusted closed and I dont think he could breath through it, and this is waht happened to all the babies before they died. I am keeping my fingers crossed he will make it.

Mom seems to be okay, she is active and always hungry and I have been giving her kitten food and some of the baby soy formula, which she loves!
She gets 1ml I think twice daily, I know I fill the dropper to the 1, which is a very tiny amount.

I have mom and babies in a smaller cage so they are close together, its a large storage tub that I revamped into a nursery. Also I have been turning the shower on hot and sitting in the bathroom with them.

It seems like blueberry(mom) is doing really well, its just the babies I am mainly worried about now because we have lost 6 already and they seem to really suffer before they die. My hope no is that the 8 left seem to be healtier than the ones that passed, and there are 4 that look completely healthy, and the rest are just small, and there is the little boy who I am working on keeping alive.

Thank you so much for the advice, it is good to know there are people willing to help me with this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blueberry is on baytril, and kiwi is on a lower dose. Now the vet said that blueberry had pneumonia and she is the mom, but she doesnt appear to be that sick, she still has a big appetite, and I never hear and wheezing, the only symtpm seems to be some sneezing.

The vet said she was going to find a med. that was okay for the babies, but from what Ive have researched it seems baytril may not be good for them, but Im not sure if there is any other options.
We lost 2 more babies last night so we are down to 8 from 14. But the remaining seem to be pretty healthy, there is only one small one and he has a crusty nose, but I have been feeding him and holding him over a sink full of hot water for the steam and it seems to be working becasue his nose got a little runny and I was wiping it off with a warm cloth and it finally cleared up. Because before this his nose was crusted closed and I dont think he could breath through it, and this is waht happened to all the babies before they died. I am keeping my fingers crossed he will make it.

Mom seems to be okay, she is active and always hungry and I have been giving her kitten food and some of the baby soy formula, which she loves!
She gets 1ml I think twice daily, I know I fill the dropper to the 1, which is a very tiny amount.

I have mom and babies in a smaller cage so they are close together, its a large storage tub that I revamped into a nursery. Also I have been turning the shower on hot and sitting in the bathroom with them.

It seems like blueberry(mom) is doing really well, its just the babies I am mainly worried about now because we have lost 6 already and they seem to really suffer before they die. My hope no is that the 8 left seem to be healtier than the ones that passed, and there are 4 that look completely healthy, and the rest are just small, and there is the little boy who I am working on keeping alive.

Thank you so much for the advice, it is good to know there are people willing to help me with this.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you know what sort of pneamonia it is? Is it long lasting?

Where has your vet recommended you to put the Baytril in? What is the process you go through?

(Don't worry I'm getting somewhere with this!)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It sounds like Blueberry has a very mild URI (pneumonia is very very serious and they act sick) and I would stop meds. Its probably what is killing your babies :(

from ratguide (safe in pregnancy should mean fine while nursing)

Safe in pregnancy:
# Zithromax
# Tylosin
# Amoxicillin
# amoxicillin with clavulanate
# cefadroxil
# Prednisolone

Avoid:
# Most Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin/Enrofloxacin (Baytril) *
# Flagyl
# Reglan
# Albuterol
# Trimethoprim-sulfa
# Asprin (Can cause birth defects in rats)
# Tetracycline (May impede development of fetal bones and teeth)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squeak, I give her the meds. with a dropper, and shes a piglet so she sucks it right down.
I'm really confused now about what to do. The vet seemed really informed about rats, but blueberry doesnt act that sick, and some of the babies are the sick ones. They have trouble breathing and have runny/clogged noses.
There is 8 little ones left, but only 2 seem to be sick, the others are big and happy, and this morning they started opening their eye. They each have one eye open, they look like my dog, who only has one eye.

I am going to try to get ahold of another vet and see what they say.

Thanks for the help, Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
k_petersen5 said:
Squeak, I give her the meds. with a dropper, and shes a piglet so she sucks it right down.
I'm really confused now about what to do. The vet seemed really informed about rats, but blueberry doesnt act that sick, and some of the babies are the sick ones. They have trouble breathing and have runny/clogged noses.
There is 8 little ones left, but only 2 seem to be sick, the others are big and happy, and this morning they started opening their eye. They each have one eye open, they look like my dog, who only has one eye.

I am going to try to get ahold of another vet and see what they say.

Thanks for the help, Ill keep you posted.
Okay a little story for you, to give you an idea about your vet;s knowlege.

Medications are based on weight. a dropper is not accurate enough in any case. A good vet will give you baytril and a medicating syringe.
A rat should be dosed at 5-10 mg/kg and the actual dose depends on their weight and the concentration of your baytril.

Here's your story...

An "informed" rat vet I went to this summer (my regular rat vet was moving and building her new clinic) did a few things that I learned of later on....

1) told me baytril after a week was poisonous to adult rats
2) kept asking me if I was well because he was convinced that I would get leptospirosis from my rats urine. Lepto can be contracted from a puddle of water that have had infected racoons/skunks etc urinate in them (outside wild animals :roll:)
3) gave such weak meds that you had to give a full cc of meds twice a day (that is full syringe total)...I insisted on baytril pills and made my own :roll:
4) neutered 2 older boys of mine but gave them waaay too much anesthetic...they were falling over and in terrible shape for 24 hours after surgery, I seriously thought I was going to lose one, and had to syringe fluids into both of them.
5) once dosed a rat with doxycycline at 72 times the normal dosage...the rat would've died if her friend hadn't caught it and reduced the dosage.
6) overdosed a lovely old gal with injectable ivermectin (used topically). She was given .25 cc's of this when her dose should've been .02 cc's instead. I took her in a week afterwards and within another week she had a mild stroke, then a major stroke and died within 3 weeks from it :cry:

Should I continue? If I didn't know my stuff this vet could've fooled me completely from the way he talked. :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
k_petersen5 said:
Sorry it is actually a medical syringe. I fill the syringe to the 1, and the little one kiwi gets to the .6.
At least that is good to hear, but if she was mine I would stop meds on Blueberry. I had a slight URI with my Ooops mom (she sounded a lot sicker than your gal) and I held off on medicating her until she weaned 2 weeks later. She was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I emailed my medical contact at ratguide.com (I have put up case histories on there and know some of the people) asking if the meds they quoted as safe for pregnant rats were okay for nursing as well. She said that baytril should only be used if the mother has a serious illness but in her case she should probably be on zithromax instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts