Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just looking to get some advice!
My girl Mango is just under a year old and has previously been treated for URIs three times (twice on a Baytril/Doxy combo and once on Zithro). She had been doing well for the last little while until this past weekend when I started noticing labored abdominal breathing, a slight clicking noise, puffy fur, and a decrease in activity and appetite. With her previous URIs, she had not shown these symptoms (it was just sneezing and poryphin). So, last night I rushed her to an emergency vet clinic for an assessment, convinced that she would have to be PTS.
The vet was fantastic and said that she has pneumonia and some fluid in the lungs but with treatment she should perk up and have a few months of a high quality life. I was prescribed Baytril and Doxy (2x daily), Metacam (1x daily), and Lasix (a diuretic, 2x a day). Her first dose was about 24 hrs ago. She is back to eating and drinking, a little more active, but is still breathing from her tummy (so labored breathing I suppose), occasionally has audible breaths (but no longer constant), but still puffy fur. I was just wondering how long the medication will need to take effect.. in your opinion, is it too early (24hrs) for a drastic improvement to have taken place? When should I worry? Any input and advice you're able to provide would be fantastic.Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
You're probably seeing the effect of the symptom relieving drugs. It takes about three to five days for true improvement; if there isn't then you'll need new meds. I had to switch Remus three times with his pneumonia. Also worth noting that pneumonia can cause serious damage long term and can reoccur. Treat for a month and watch her for the rest of her life.

Remus caught pneumonia in December, it reoccurred in January and took his in February. I forgot if you asked anymore questions but feel free to ask as I did just go through this.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Oh also keep her separate and give her a heating pad under half her cage and look into a cool mist humidifier.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your reply. She certainly seems more active this morning and ate more today than she has in the past few days. However, after treat time, I noticed she was "side-sucking" or doing what Google informed me are called "owie stretches". I understand that this can be a symptom of pain, I'm wondering if it's linked to her illness or the result of over eating/eating quickly? She wasn't doing it before Cheerio time. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
That's a pretty serious sign of pain not something overeating could cause. Is she using the restroom? Palpate her all over and see if she responds in pain. Check her mouth too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We called the vet and she said this is Mango's way of trying to get more air. She said that we need to keep up with the anti biotic regime and hope for the best. She's still eating and drinking and has pink ears and feet which is good, and showing interest/affection toward me. But the vet said it does sound like she's in poor condition so we need to monitor her closely. How will I know it's "her time" or if the meds aren't going to work? I'm terrified of making the wrong decision.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Sometimes you know, but a good guide is if they can no longer enjoy 2 of their favorite 3 things. When it gets real bad, there will be no doubt -- this is when Remus was put down. I will say upfront...it neveer feels like the right decision. You always wonder what if I did x differently, what could I have changed -- at least I do.

Do you havea stethoscope? You could also monitor her that way. Medicine should work within 5 days and if it doesn't you need to switch. It's up to you how far to keep trying, but you still have azithromycin and chloramphenicol and clavamox as well as I'm sure many other LRI medicines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts