Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was in the pet store, when, all alone in a 1' by 1' aquarium, not a shelf, hammock, or a friend in sight, I found a little grey rex hoodie. he was so depressed, with nothing but an igloo in his tiny prison :cry: I held my hand out towards the tank, I don't know why, as a sign of comfort I guess. he looked up, and slowly edged towards my hand 8O he got close enough to sniff my hand (though he probably couldn't through the glass) when he got up on his back legs and looked at me :cry: begging me to save him. It took more than I could ever imagine to walk away, especially with a 20 gallon tank in my room, and an empty guinea pig cage and a bag of carefresh just across the street. and enough to buy him in my pocket. oh god why didn't I save him?!? I need support, or encouragement, or a good talking to... I don't know what... this is the closest I've come in a long time, maybe ever to a real live rat, to a rat in need... i'm so conflicted...

·
Registered
263 Posts
-huggles- Tis okay, tis okay. It seems like almost all the petstores have ratties like that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you zimmyzam. I thought it over, and they'll just buy another rat with the profit from the first, and he probably has scores of genetic defects. and he'll probably die unloved and uncuddled ): poor little guy. I wish I were in a situation where I could help him, but they will buy another, and you just can't save 'em all.

oh, and I just realized he is in fact the first live rat I've ever encountered, even in a pet store. but the way he didn't run and hide at any sign of humans, actually curious about me. amazing creatures.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well you are stronger than me. Thats why I do not even look at rats in pet stores anymore. Otherwise one will probably come home with me. I have very little self control.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am confused... you have 65 posts on a rat forum and this was the first rat you have ever seen up close that was not dead?

You sir, or ma'am, need a cute little pair of rats to call your own!

·
Registered
418 Posts
All admit that if I was in your situation I would have bought him (as in I didn't have a rat at home that could become ill from him). Though I do think you made the right decision, certainly smarter than the one I would have made.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've stopped going to pet stores because I too feel heartbroken when I see the rats. The last time I went there was an aquarium full of 8 week old rats. There was a half-eaten rat in there, just his/her feet and tail left. There was also another rat separated from the group that was dying. I am not in the position right now to take more rats than I have and it was incredibly difficult to see that and be able to do nothing. x_x;

·
Registered
353 Posts
i saw a little baby hamster in a pet store once like that.... he was soo tiney, and a little sick....i wanted to take him home just so he'd know love before he died...i still think about him all the time....*sigh* if i woulda had money (and had not in fact been in school at the moment)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I can't look at the animals in pet stores. If I ever saw a little rat like that, I wouldn't be able to not take him, even if I knew I shouldn't. My hat goes off to you for your strength and will power!

Poor little guy :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts