Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to rush him to the emergency vet yesterday! He had a large, deep laceration on his rump. Poor baby! I didn't see it happen, but it was sometime during the afternoon because when I had checked them in the morning he was fine. I was so upset, this is the first time any of my rats has been injured like that. I won't post a picture because it's pretty gross...though the wound looks clean and isn't infected or anything, which is good. He is fine, they opted not to stitch him because they didn't want him to pull the stitches out and make it worse / possibly infect it. They gave me some antibiotic cream to apply and an oral antibiotic just in case.

Mostly I feel bad that he was being bullied so badly by his brothers. I had noticed some small scabs around his rump area a few days before but they were mostly healed. And since I didn't see it happen and the other two boys are getting along fine, I have Opie on the top level of the DCN and Jax and Chibs on the bottom, for the time being. They are both fine, no injuries on either of them - not even small scabs. Not sure what I plan to do about it, perhaps in the future I will consider getting Opie a new cage mate because I really don't want to risk any further injury. What do you guys think?

Sidenote - I found out during the vet visit that Opie is 651 grams!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
How old is Opie? He might be overweight :p

As to the bullying, that's full on aggression based on the location though the type of wound would confirm or deny. Neutering the aggressor or getting Opie his own friend (preferably a pair of youngsters) may be worth while

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is Opie? He might be overweight :p

As to the bullying, that's full on aggression based on the location though the type of wound would confirm or deny. Neutering the aggressor or getting Opie his own friend (preferably a pair of youngsters) may be worth while
He might be! He's nearly a year old, I want to say around 10 months. He is very "stocky" but that's hard to explain. Like, his body weight is evenly distributed, vs. Ezra, who is just pudgy in the middle. Lol.

I figured it was aggression, the wound looked like a bite and tear. It was basically a hole in his flesh. I would opt to neuter the aggressor if I could figure out who it was. So far in observing Chibs and Jax, Jax has been doing most of the pinning. Chibs submits most of the time, but other times he does the puff thing, and some boxing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts