Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy out repairing some lines, and upgrading my internet service. He had to go inside and out, so I told him just to come and go without knocking. I had taken an opportunity, while he was outside to bring Roxy out for some "mom and me" time, as she loves riding my shoulder. So there I was, standing by the door when the guy started in. He stops dead, backs up a step and says "Is that a RAT???" I said "Yes, meet Roxy". He stood there, and I ended up having to put her back into her cage before he would come on. Cripes. What did he think she was going to do? Jump from my shoulder to his? That would have been funny..I could have envisioned him screaming like a girl. I apologize to all of us girls who do NOT shreak at the site of a little white rat.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lol....poor Roxy...she must have been so much braver than him...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wud've shrieked if i saw a little white rat on your shoulder. Different kind of shriek, mind you, but shrieked, nevertheless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ilovescience, probably. Of course, If I had thought quick enough I probably should have looked over and yelled OH MY GOD A RAT. But I probably would have scared the poor thing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My female, Denna, has jumped from my shoulder to my boyfriend's in an attempt to try and steal the hood strings from his jacket... and took the opportunity to sniff his face... ears... hair... climb on his head... crawl into his hood... and down his shirt... So, it's not a total impossibility. :p

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actual rat phobics are uncommon, but I live with one and have encountered several more while traveling with our shoulder rats.... It's an irrational fear and has nothing to do with what a rat is actually capable of... A person who is afraid of high places might be standing on top of a pyramid that hasn't shifted or collapsed in thousands of years and is likely one of the safest places on earth, but it would be terrifying for him never the less...

I know it's hard for us, who love our rats to imagine how terrifying they are to some people, but it's something we always have to keep in mind when in public or when folks visit us. I'm not talking about people that don't like rats, those folks can change their minds... phobics might even come to like rats in theory, but that doesn't mean they can go anywhere near them.

I'm mildly phobic of spiders, at a distance I can appreciate a colorful spider or a web glistening in morning dew. But if I walk into a web in the dark and there's a chance that there's some big spider somewhere in my hair or crawling on me I'm creeped out beyond words... My former neighbor actually liked spiders, there were webs in his basement and he just let them free range around his house.... I suppose I could understand his point of view, but that doesn't mean I could fall asleep if I knew there was a spider crawling around my bed with me... No matter how harmless you convince me it is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts