Rat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got him. This is how he looks right now. He's lethargic and just stays hunched in a ball. I'm getting ensure to fatten him up tonight, but I'm so worried about him

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oh my goodness! Poor thing! What happened to him?

I'm glad that you're going to take care of him. Has he been to a vet to make sure this was just starvation and not something more serious?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got him a few hours ago and had to rush to class so I didn't have time to assess him or do anything other than out some food and blankets down. He came from this awful girl who didn't want him but didn't care enough to work with me and rehome him, all she cared about was making some money back off him. I thought he was long gone but yesterday someone contacted me saying they had gotten them and so I picked them up today. By the looks of their cage setup they didn't have easy access to water, fed crap food, kept in a tank, and they smelled like cigarettes and grossness. His cagemate is fine but he's so weak and malnourished

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow, that's abuse. Definitely abuse. I don't care that the law seems lax when the animal isn't a cat or dog, what she did was wrong.

I think in his condition, a call to the vet would be in order, just because there might be a really good way to get weight on him healthily (not too fast, etc) and I think the vet could help. With the body condition that bad, I wouldn't want to take any chances. It seems like when he's already that bad, things could go south really fast.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Wow! That's so sad. Poor thing is practically just skin and bones. :(

I hope you can bring him back from the brink.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You can mix the ensure in with some crushed up lab block and feed it to him that way. Keep him warm but not too warm since he may not have enough energy to move away from a heated area if he gets too hot. The guy really needs a lot of monitoring. I would not worry too much about putting too much weight on too quickly at this point since he seriously needs the nourishment. A vet visit does sound like a good idea to make sure there aren't any other complications going on under the radar. Good luck, I hope the poor guy pulls through all this.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, unfortunately little Elijah didn't make it through the night, I guess his condition was just too far gone. I'm so sad, I barely knew him but this wasn't fair, he didn't deserve that. He had just gotten to safety and never got to enjoy it. If the stupid owner had just given him to me when I asked, he could have been saved and that just makes me so mad.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey guys, unfortunately little Elijah didn't make it through the night, I guess his condition was just too far gone. I'm so sad, I barely knew him but this wasn't fair, he didn't deserve that. He had just gotten to safety and never got to enjoy it. If the stupid owner had just given him to me when I asked, he could have been saved and that just makes me so mad.
I am so sorry he didn't make it😔 poor little thing. Makes one very, very angry. I hope his cage mate is going to be ok. Let us know how it goes at the vet.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's even worse is that when I let the person who rescued them for me know that he had passed, she actually had the nerve to accuse me of doing something to make him die! She claimed they were "healthy and fine" when they were with her and that something MUST have happened during the car ride. She refuses to believe they were/are sick and keeps implying I'm hiding something like I did something to make them sick that I'm not admitting

·
Registered
307 Posts
What's even worse is that when I let the person who rescued them for me know that he had passed, she actually had the nerve to accuse me of doing something to make him die! She claimed they were "healthy and fine" when they were with her and that something MUST have happened during the car ride. She refuses to believe they were/are sick and keeps implying I'm hiding something like I did something to make them sick that I'm not admitting
Oh my word!!! Healthy she says! But he was nothing but skin and bone. Ignorant person she is! She's only making herself feel better by 'blaming you'. You recused that poor little boy, from the deep goodness of your heart. I can only hope that she will not be purchasing any pet again until she can learn some responsibility. I am so angry for you. We need more people like you in this world.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd take his body to police with the pictures. She just killed an animal with her neglect, and the fact she thinks that's healthy means any animal she has is doomed. Maybe a legal smack down will help or at least punish and maybe stop from owning more pets.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm sorry. Based on the pictures you posted I kinda figured this was going to happen. That poor guy was severely neglected and I doubt there is much you could have done different to change the outcome. The original owner killed him, not you.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is my first rescue and I'm still just appalled at everything that happened. I could never do rescues all the time, it would break my heart. His cage mate Tuck went to the vet today and I got him some medicine so hopefully he will be on the mend. He is SO sweet and curious, I'm having such a hard time not keeping him. As much as I love him, I've decided that it's not wise or practical right now for me to take on another rat for personal reasons. He will be in good hands at the rescue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.