Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that my rat, Tyrion, has been on antibiotics for a while and struggling with respiratory issues. This round of antibiotics has made no difference to his condition and he has quickly gotten worse and worse. Today his breathing was awful, he was sucking in his sides and for some reason walking oddly. I realised he wasn't eating when i offered him a mealworm and he refused. Since then i've offered him banana, yoghurt and fruity treats and he's refused everything. He also seems weak and floppy when i hold him. He's still keen to be cuddled and he's on my lap right now but he's making a clicky noise when he breaths and he keeps falling onto his side. I can't bear to lose him, he's not even two yet!

We've bonded a lot this past year, he's gone from a scared, aggressive biting rat to the cuddliest, sweetest furry friend i've ever had. I'll stay awake with him tonight, what do you think his chances of a miraculous recovery are?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
he's also not blinking one of his eyes

UPDATE - I gave him a tiny piece of milk chocolate and he's holding it in his mouth but refusing to chew it or swallow any. It really bizarre, it might melt in his mouth a little i guess. Could syringe feeding him something high in calories help or would it stress him out too much and make things worse?!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I don't know how to link a post I made to Facebook, but..
This sounds exactly how I lost Remus last night. https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=ht...=youtube_gdata_player&app=desktop&h=2AQGwpJkz

He began to lose temperture, click when breathing, he was unresponsive to any stimuli. He then had seizures. Then he went limp. He lost the use of his limbs. He was sitting and breathing in the end. It was humane to euth...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's having seizures, it's almost midnight i can't even take him to the vet. He's very quite now but i can feel him breathing...

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I'm very sorry.

Keep him warm, keep him close. Warm a towel in the dryer for him if you can. Get a humidifier running. Don't move him around too much. Don't force food or liquid at this point. Monitor his tail temperature and the color of his tail/feet/gums.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, Tyrion passed away in my arms a couple of hours ago. I kept him comfortable and with me till the end. When i'm more composed i'll write him a a little obituary. You and I are hurting in the same way, I hope you're feeling okay x

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I'm so sorry. I know you loved Tyrion, I remember reading about him. He got to stay with you, comfortable at home. I cried all night and slept all day. To be honest, I'm crying again reading this. Our poor babies. Life can be so unfair. I hope you're okay as well, as well as one can be losing a baby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts