Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some general advice and opinions. So I have three rats, two brothers and a third younger. The larger of the brothers and the youngest are happy and healthy however my darker rat has been poorly for a while.

for some context he is about 9/10 months old and he has been to the vets, different vets for different opinions. The first visit I was told he was fine and there was nothing wrong with him so I took him somewhere else where they told me he had bronchitis. He croaks a lot but it varies, he can have a good day with barely any croaking and other days when it’s all the time. On his bad days he just wants to be curled up on my shoulder and refuses to go back in the cage. I was happy with the result of the second vet visit and gave him his course of treatment. The first two days it seemed to improve however after that it just went back to before. He is thin, croaking and his fur feels coarse and weak. I took him back to the vets where they told me he would get better now the treatment was complete.
Again frustrated I went to ANOTHER vets where they once again told me he was fine and just a rat ‘thing’. I have accepted at this point that he is a poorly rat but I’d like to know if anyone has any suggestions of ways to help him out some weight on.

like I said he has good days and on those days he charges around with the other two playing, eats treats and food and is generally a happy rat. But on bad days he won’t touch food/treats and just wants to be out on his own. Oh they are all also litter trained but in the last few weeks he goes where he wants, sometimes uses the tray but rarely.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just want to say by no means am I a rat health expert.I know that when cats refuse to go into the litter box, it's usually something to do with their liver(but of course I'm talking about a cat and that is not always the case).
You can soak his pellets in water and add egg yolk into the soggy pellet mix, mix it well. I've had her at refused to eat before and adding egg yolk into the soggy pellet mix encouraged them. Like they ate it like there was no tomorrow.
black oil sunflower seeds are great way to put weight onto any critter. They're very fatty, so don't give too many at once. Just a few of day.
If you have a humidifier try running it in the room on his bad days. To me it sounds like there's something wrong with his respiratory system. Possibly Mycoplasma flare ups. I'm sure someone more experienced here can give you advice on that.
I hope you find a solution soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the pointers! He loves the sunflower seeds! Makes a right mess but he eats them even when he doesn’t fancy anything else so that’s something!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts