Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure if you've already read this http://www.ratfanclub.org/abscess.html but it gives alot of helpful info on abscesses! Just keep it cleaned, and if it were me i'd try to get a vet appointment as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Rinse it with saline solution two to three times a day; you can make your own solution at home, just google the instructions. Don't wash or rub it with a cloth, you'll just irritate it more and steepen the chances of a worse infection. I recommend you flush it with a needle-less syringe till the solution runs clear and there's no puss or gunk coming out then wash it a few times a day. If she's on loose bedding like carefresh swap it out for fleece or a towel so nothing sticks to the wound. If you have raw honey you can apply a dab to it, it has natural healing properties that'll help it heal. There is a few downsides to the honey though, for one it's sticky and it drove my girls up a wall when I tried to use it. The other being that it's honey and it's sweet; the rest of the mischief swarmed my injured one and power groomed it all off her in minutes.
I prefer and recommend that you get some silver solution instead of the honey. It's made by Curad and you can find it at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Walgreens, CVS, etc. or you can order it online on Amazon for about six bucks. It's completely rat safe, it's the best anti-microbial on the market and probably one of the best things about it is that it breathes. Meaning you can apply it to abscesses and puncture wounds, like bites, and it won't hold in bacteria like Neosporin or other petroleum based topical creams and ointments. You should apply it after every cleaning and a thin layer goes a long way, no need to glob it on.

I can't recommend this stuff highly enough. I've been using it for years on both people and animals. it'll take the heat out of a wound in fifteen minutes, it fights off infection and keeps it at bay and it boosts the healing process rapidly. Here's a link to amazon so you know what it looks like and if you can't find it in-store you can order it from here. That is if you decide to get it!
Keep us updated, best of luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Curad-Silver-Solution-Antimicrobial-Pack/dp/B004YHL3FG

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes, loosen the scab up with warm damp compresses till it comes off. Don't let it scab over again, it'll trap some nasty bacteria in there and get worse; like rotting.Abscesses must heal from the inside out, so clean it out multiple times a day (you can clean it more than twice a day if need be) and apply the silver to it after each cleanings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts