Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a question regarding my new rat. She's roughly 14 weeks old. I've had her for almost 2 weeks. She's been doing this weird chattering noise from time to time and sneezing right afterwards sometimes (but not every time). She sometimes sneezes a few times in a row without the chattering noise also.

When I rat phone her, all I hear is her heartbeat and if she's sniffing I hear that also. I hear no weird sounds coming from her belly area.

She's been playing and drinking water and eating great. She seems to have an appetite when I give treats and she ADORES eating frozen peas.

My main concern and question is as follows: Can a rat have minimal porphorin staining (like a tiny little bit of crusties around the nose or even a little more on some days) and be sneezing from time to time and be still be healthy?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit of Porphyrin does not always point to illness. As for any noises she is making, check out the following page for comparisons.:
http://www.joinrats.com/RatHealth/SOUNDS/HealthyOrSickSqueaks/

(Turn up your volume, some are hard to hear)
She doesn't have any of those sounds, thank god.

It honestly sounds like when rats eat something crispy like a cheerio or something. Or sounds like she's trying to grind her teeth down. Which is fine but I don't understand why she sneezes right after doing the sound?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The teeth grinding is normal. Can't say about the sneezing. She may just have new home sneezes, that should go away on their own. Keep irritants like incense, tobacco and other airborne stuff away from her and she should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts