Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My rats frequently have little fights and their fur sometimes gets blood on it as a result. (I do not know if this is normal or not so if somebody can help me out with this, that'd be great) The other day I gave the two of them a bath: Took a bowl of filtered room temperature water and used it to wet my fingers, then I rubbed out the blood wherever it was. I did my best to avoid their heads, as I've heard that's not v. good for them. Anyway, the next day I come back to my rats and I find that one of them (Maggie) has porphyrin in one of her eyes. I dismiss it, but keep an eye on her just in case. Today I come back and I find she's got just a little in her other eye as well, and more in the first one.
I may add pictures later but I'm super concerned as I'm a new rat owner as to what's going on with Maggie? Is she okay?

tl;dr My rat's got some porphyrin in her eyes and I want to know if it's a result of a bath and if not, why would it be there?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Porphyin can be stress related and baths can cause stress but since it wasn't until the next day the porphyin appeared it probably wasn't bath realated. Perhaps stress due do fighting? Dont stress, there are many reasons for porphyin and it doesn't nesseserily mean something is seriously wrong. Just keep an eye on her and look out for any more symptoms. Things like sneezing, weezing and rattling in the chest.As for the fighting, I can't really say much because i have never had fighting rats but I do know drawing blood is not a good thing. you should probably make a thread about the fighting issue in the behavour section because its not normal especially in females.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts