Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all-
i'm a little freaked out - i'm a fairly new rat owner, and although i read up on as much as i can, sometimes, there are things you cannot understand without experience. one of my rats(whom i've had for about 4 months), is excreting small amounts of porphyrin out of her nose, and sometimes just a single drop out of each eye. she sneezes all the time, which has been going on since ive had her. i noticed the porphyrin excretions started happening maybe a few wks after i got her. other than that, she has shown no signs of disease, pain, or discomfort. does anyone have any ideas, or should i make an effort to get her to the vet? thanks in advance.

[title edited by mod (DonnaK) to reflect content of post]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: please help! i have no idea whats causing this....

small amounts are pretty normal.
the excessive sneezing could be a respiratory problem.
I'm no expert on this at all, but it could be from the bedding you are using. what are your ratties on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

shes been sneezing pretty much since i got her - and she hasnt shown any other sign of a respiratory problem. i keep my rats on aspen shavings.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Try switchin to carefresh. Or even towells... It may be the bedding. Avoid sprays, candles, incences near her cage. that may cause it. Also, respitory infection mmay be it so its best to get her checked out by a vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts