Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier today I posted a question about possibly sick new rats. Well just a few minutes ago I went in to my room to give the girls their dinner and before they ate, one of the new girls sneezed and what looked like blood came out. She then proceeded to eat all her food normally as if it didn't effect her at all (note: they've all been eating, drinking, peeing & pooping, playing, and enjoying themselves like normal, healthy rats should. So absolutely no change in behavior).

I wiped the blood-like substance with my fingers to inspect it and see if it was in fact blood, but it didn't seem to be. So I'm assuming it's Porphyrin (sorry if I didn't spell it correctly). I've only heard of this a few times while reading other stuff on this forum, and I've seen some people say a little bit is normal but a lot is an issue. Well honestly I'm not sure if she's been doing this often because I have not noticed Porphyrin before with any of my girls. So it may be a new thing. The bit she sneezed wasn't a lot, but who knows if she's sneezing it out regularly and I don't see it in time or it's almost camouflaged in their bedding (which is brown with some white, it's Oxbow natural mix).

It's Saturday night right now so I cannot get them all in to the veterinary clinic until Monday, so I was wondering if anyone can give me some in depth information about Porphyrin and whether or not she'll make it by Monday or if this is completely life threatening and incredibly dangerous. I don't know much about this to begin with so I'm already extremely worried..
Any help or knowledge on this would be amazing! Thank you so much, I appreciate everyone's time and help on this forum! Have a great day/night!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you noticing any other issues, such as wheezing (put their sides-where their lungs would be-up to your ear and listen), frequent sneezing (more than the occasional sneeze), labored breathing, lethargy, etc...? If not, then I would just say she has a bit of a runny nose that they occasionally get like we do. My girls get a runny nose every once and a while, in fact, one's eye runs pretty frequently so I have to constantly wipe her eye with a damp Q-tip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My two new girls have had basically no interaction with humans before I adopted them, so trying to listen to their breathing/lungs or heart rate is very difficult and almost impossible at this point (right now at least), because they need more one on one time with me. The sneezing isn't as constant but still worries me because I believe it may be more than a normal rat should sneeze because Luna (the rat I've had for a few months, doesn't sneeze). There doesn't seem to be labored breathing besides the occasional hard sniffing when the two new girls are super interested in something. They're all fine though regarding eating, drinking, peeing & pooping, playing, etc. like normal rats should be. Any thoughts? Thank you for responding by the way, much appreciated!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I think I addressed this on your other thread, but the red you are seeing is just rat mucus... like 'rat snot'... It's normal and no big deal in and of itself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you! I think I might still schedule a veterinary appointment for Monday, (I'm still debating) just because in the other thread you mentioned if it worsens or continues it may be bad. It hasn't worsened, but it's still happening. So overall I'm still nervous about it.. I know it will cost a couple hundred dollars for all 3 of them to get checked out (and possibly antibiotics, if needed), but I'm really scared I'm going to wake up one morning to a dead rat (like what happened with Lily) and I really don't want to go through that again if I know I can help it.. If I don't take them in Monday morning, would you say in a week or so if it's continuing that I should be alarmed, or before that time? Thank you for you help, by the way!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts