Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my girls, Cleo, is around a year old and for most of her adult life has produced some small amount of porphyrin around her eyes. She's otherwise shown no signs of illness that I can tell and doesn't seem to act differently or stressed but it's just always been there.

Recently on a certain day it looked like she just produced a ton so I got really concerned and checked her over but it still seems like there's absolutely nothing wrong with her besides the porphyrin. I've had several sick rats before, 2 with URIs and 1 with something else, so I have some small idea how rats show illness as I did a lot of research each time one got sick.

I washed it off, and she's been producing just a small amount like she usually has since, but I've wanted a second opinion ever since I noticed it happening. Can rats really produce porphyrin even if nothing's wrong? Have any of you ever had a rat that just produced it all the time?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Could she have just been especially stressed at the time? I read that when rats get stressed they will produce more porphyrin.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
is it excessive porphyrin round one eye? whilst rats produce porphyrin naturally without illness (it's naturally occurring in there tears, saliva and nasal mucus) if they have more than normal it can be a sign of irritation. One of mine had a weird eye problem which causes him to get a lot every now and then in one eye

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's both eyes, but it's not perfectly even. Right now her right eye has a little more, but I can't recall if it's always been this way or that's just how it is now. If it's because of stress then she would have to be stressed all the time :/ All rats have different personalities but she's not my most skittish and she can easily be the bravest when she's motivated. I went through a period where I introduced a new rat consecutively with just a couple weeks in between and I wondered if that was stressing her out, but it's been maybe a month since the last girl and they seem to be well adjusted. They've been living in one spot and I haven't had to take her anywhere since August, I'm just at a loss as to what she could still be stressing over.

Maybe she has an eye issue in both eyes? What signs might she show if that were the case?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If that is the only symptom she has, then I would just keep a watch and see if it goes away. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong except for the secretions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts