Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this rat who had allot of poryphyring coming out of her eyes at one point (which disapeared for a few hours and then came back), but eventually it just disapeared on it's own, I might still see it sometimes, but only in one eye at a time and not very often (and it ususally ges washed away and doesn't come back), what is this? No other signs are shown.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My new rat has it. And usually also in one eye. I did some reading and found out it can be stress, or allergy, or new smells. It's not necessarily a sign of sickness. In case of my guy I attribute it to new bedding and new home. Did you change anything recently for your rat? Like new bedding? Or maybe changed his diet? It could be a sign of improper nutrition as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of my rats that I've had for the past month or so has a persistent issue with porphyrin in one eye off and on. He has no other apparent problems. He's just finished a course of antibiotic eyedrops because the vet thought it might be an infection but couldn't be sure, but they didn't really get rid of the porphyrin issue. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what people have to say.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had this same problem with my albino. Had taken her to one vet who treated her for a URI, went to another vet whose come to the conclusion (because her breathing is normal) that since she's albino, and obviously more sensitive to light it makes her sneeze more and more porphyrin is noticeable around the eyes and nose. That's what me and him have agreed on though because she's albino. But that may not be the case for your rattie!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Porphyrin is totally normal. It can show up not only on the eyes but sometimes in really weird places like the ears or even (I've heard, never had this one personally yet) on the tail. I suppose it's kind of like how human eyes are always secreting tears and our noses are always secreting mucus. Ratties just have a buildup sometimes and it's completely normal and just like you wipe your eyes or blow your nose without thinking about it, so do they.

Sometimes PEWs/light colored rats get a weird yellow-y to red tinge to their fur. This is sometimes caused by porphyrin being groomed out, which most rats do after every sleep.

Some rats just secrete more of it than others and while EXCESS porphyrin is secreted in times of stress, if it's normal for your ratty to have a little in their eyes you'll definitely know the difference between normal and excess. If a rat is not displaying any other symptoms besides porphyrin and is doing everything else normally... I'd just say you caught them on a lazy grooming day or you have a ratty that doesn't groom it out as regularly as they should.

Treating for an infection just in case if other symptoms are present is smart, though. Like I said before, excess porphyrin is not normal and should be addressed right away. However, watch your rattie and what they're doing before you see the buildup in one eye or the other. I'd be willing to bet they were 1.) sleeping or 2.) possibly hopping around in bedding irritating their nose or eyes or 3.) bumped something that irritated them a little.

Hakuna matata on the porphyrin issues unless sniffling, lethargy, monkey noises, etc. follow it ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts