Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who saw my most recent posts, in trying to help the rats at a local petstore I've been doing my best to stop the boys and girls being mixed. I checked up on them Thursday, and everyone was seperated out. However, there's a new problem. one little girl is shaking uncontrollably. She's way undersized. I thought she was about five weeks old, but have since found out she's somewhere around seven weeks. I know she has zero chance of being a pet, and tried contacting homes and rescues. I thought one lady who runs a rescue would take her, but she didn't show and the petshop called me today to find out how long to hold her.

I don't know what else to do but take her myself if the lady from the rescue doesn't take her. I have eight rats currently, but I'll make room somehow. My fear is quarentining her, but I've decided to board her at the vet worse come to worse. I was talking with one potential owner who suspected an ear infection. could someone please give me advice on this and if it causes shaking? I was told it started roughly a week after she arrived and she seemed normal until then. They also said the shaking stops when she's asleep. Could just fear possibly be a cause? She's also scratching, but I don't know if that's just at her ear or not and if that would indicate an infection.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is it her whole body? Just her head? Are her lungs clear? I noticed with Dean when he was sick he would kinda shake on and off. What makesyou say ear infection besides someone saying that? I have no clue what the signs of an ear infection are in a rat

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes whole body shaking. slight tilt to the head, not constant. As far as I can tell this is not a respiratory issue. no porphorine and doesn't appear to have trouble breathing. Normal weight. Except for the shaking she appears normal in every other way, except being undersized. I'd guessed her at about 5-6 weeks, and found out she's more like 7-8. The lady I talked too has dealt with sick rats for years and said definately sounded like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts