Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Woke up today and went to check on my rats and noticed that 1 of my girls was moving a bit funny. Pulled her out of her cage to check her out and she was walking really wobbly and falling over. I made a short video to show what it looks like (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcg4gw7zt0fzk3v/20150425_083938.mp4?dl=0). Other than that, she's eating fine, fur looks the same as always, her eyes are still nice and bright, and she still wanted to go off to explore, but we didn't want her running around like that. She is an older rat though, about 2 years and 9 months, so we were getting worried. Took her to the emergency vet and they gave her 2 antibiotics and a painkill/anti-inflammatory, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this or if it could possibly be something else? The vet says it looks like an ear infection caused by a small respiratory infection as she heard something in her lungs. I guess I'm just afraid it might be a pituitary tumor. Should I get a second opinion on this or should I wait a few days to see if the medicine has any effect? The painkiller did seem to help a little, she was moving around a bit easier with it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention, is there anything we should look for in regards to a possible pituitary tumor? I don't want to think that she has one, but I guess with how she's acting, I should be looking at it as a possibility..

·
Registered
863 Posts
She does look wobbly and weak.

Smell her ears and see if you notice any odor.

If her ears smell fine, then I'd just stick with the course of medication your vet recommended. Your ratty is pretty old. I'm sorry she's not doing well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts