Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ink is having some head tilt/bulging eye/serious balance problems that have gone from slight head tilt to being unable to walk and ends up rolling around on the ground when he tries.
The problem is I probably can't get to the vet for a couple of days. If it is an ear infection is his life in danger if he can't get antibiotics immediately? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable in the meantime?
He is almost 23 months old and he is eating ok (I just have to make sure he has food right next to where he is lying) and I will syringe feed him some liquids when he next wakes up. I don't know what else I can do for him... ibuprofen?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Can you order some baytril online (us or Canada it's possible). Ear infections can turn serious if they spread to the brain which is why fast action is advised. This could also be a stroke at his age. In reality you want him on baytril and possibly amoxycillin plus predinose which is a steroid asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All antibiotics are prescription only here. The only medication I can get for him is ibuprofen. I raced up to the pharmacy just before they closed and got some ibuprofen for him. He was lying down grooming when I got back and even managed some to do some grooming sitting up. I take that as a good sign. I gave him some sugar water and ibuprofen. Hopefully it will help with pain and inflammation a bit. The only other thing I can think of is to give him some garlic as that does have some antibacterial properties.
I really don't think I will be able to get into the vet for at least another day and a half. I have to wait until they have open clinic. At other times they will only fit you in between appointments if it is an emergency.
I was thinking about it possibly a stroke but I don't know if symptoms of a stroke worsen over 20 hours? I also hear that pituitary tumour can have similar symptoms as an ear infection but symptoms appeared so suddenly I don't know if that is the case. Perhaps this is just wishful thinking though. I'd much prefer that it be an infection than a stroke or tumor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the vet. She gave me some baytril and meloxicam to try and hopefully there will be some improvement in the next couple of days. Still could be a tumor though. :(
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top