Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

To start this off, I live in a house where I rent a room. I own a rat and 2 mice, and there are two cats within the house. They do not come in my room (my room is ALWAYS closed off, not because i dislike the cats, but for the safety of my animals). When I moved in, I noticed that the one cat had a flea collar on, which is gone now. I am new to this area and have had trouble finding a vet.

Today while I was sitting on the floor with my rat, Molly, I noticed there was a flea on my arm. I have noticed any abnormal or excessive scratching in any of my three kids. I assume I would particularly notice in my oldest male mouse who is known to go waaayyyy overboard at the slightest itch. I THINK that the fleas came from the cats but I'm so scared that my kids either already have them, or are in danger of getting fleas.

Is there anything that I can do to combat this that would be safe for them? Please, I'm terrified for their health and safety and need help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As far as I know fleas are species-specific, so unless your ratty/mice are coming into contact with wilds, they shouldn't get fleas. I know that cat fleas can spread to humans/dogs (so says Orkin), but I don't know if they would be able to spread to mice or rats...

If you're really worried, talk to the owner of the house. They might be able to get something done about it, however you need to keep updated about it, because if they do decide to bomb or anything of the sort, you will need to move your animals.

PS: I see you have a dog, too, and if they are living with you and the owners recommend a collar please don't. Many flea collars do not work and some can actually irritate the skin very badly. :( Vet-prescribed flea medicine should always be the first choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sally is currently living with my friend. I refuse to use a flea collar on her. She's 4 years old now, and hte only time she's ever had fleas was when she came home from the pound at 3 months. She is ALWAYS kept up to date on her frontline.

As for the other kids - no wilds here. Do you think it would be advisable to start some kind of preventative measure if there is one out there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Never had this problem, so no where near an expert, but petsofoz has name brand kitten flea preventative without a prescription. I've read that rats can use kitten formulas but I' never actually tried it, so it's just a thought. I would personally ask a trusted vet what to do with my babies, even just a free phone call just to get some advice. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cats are most prone to fleas. I would talk to the owner and suggest treatment for all the children! You can use revolution on your rats. That should keep the fleas off her. Fleas breed like mad and can easily get out of control. Then major fumigation ect will be needed. We don't want that with your rats and mice. I would nip it in the butt.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Cat fleas can sustain their life cycle on animals other than cats and dogs (their primary host choice) so whilst it is unlikely that your other pets have fleas, it is certainly not impossible. The problem with fleas is that you really need to manage the issue before it gets bad and a mere flea collar is an awful of doing it. I suggest that you have a serious discussion with the roommate. Vacuuming and cleaning the environment thoroughly is really important as spot on treatments alone are not good enough and will eventually cause a re-infestation. As a precaution, you can buy kitten strength revolution for the rats but there really is no point in treating them if the root of the problem is still there. It is good that you keep the cats away for the safety of your animals but fleas can hitch hike on your clothes through contact with infested material/animals so it is not fool proof.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ugg I am allergic to fleas. I would withhold rent if they had fleas as its nsafe for me and my animals but like everyone said talk to the owner of the cats and make sure to write a certified letter and give them a copy thaat you will withhold rent if the bug problem isnt solved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've just copied and pasted this, so certain bits obviously won't help, since the cats aren't in your area...wrote it the other day and it might be handy here? Dunno!
They can definitely live on humans, rats and mice etc and cause insanse itching...they're evil!

"Fleas can jump to about shin height, so if you raise the cage higher than this point, or put a guard in place, fleas couldn't get in the cage.

Remember that flea eggs don't stay on the cat, they're loose, and fall wherever they fall when the cat is moving...so you need to vacuum twice a day to remove the main bulk. They can take a couple of weeks to hatch so if you treat with a treatment that only kills adult fleas, then you'll have a whole fresh batch to treat every day for the next two weeks, and beyond, once they mature and reproduce too.

Second stage of their life cycle are tiny maggotty larva, hanging around wherever they hatched, which feed on flea feces (lovely) so if you continue treating the adults, this part is significantly decreased, also.

Third stage is a dormant pupa in a cocoon spun in 5-20 days time...which stays dormant for as long as it takes before it feels the vibration of a passing animal...years even...so don't stop twice daily hoovering even when it appears you're safe. I constantly double vacuum, as a cat owner, because it takes no time at all for one flea to turn into a new infestation if you back down. The cocoons are sticky and light vacuuming usually doesn't suck up all the pupa...but it CAN suck them up, and also the vibrations of the vacuum can trick them into hatching and being sucked up, anyway. And when they naturally hatch out, you'll get as many as you possibly can.

Adult fleas are only up to 5% of the flea family in your home at any time and lay about 40 eggs a day, each. However many fleas you see, there are SO many more just waiting to grow up.

I have no handy info on fleas ON rats.....but figured I'd say about fleas themselves, because once you know they're mostly maggotting around in your carpets, rugs, bed and sofas, it's both easier to fight them and really makes you WANT to fight them. .____.;"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts