Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum who have been helping me out in my first week. I'm anxious to get them to like me and do my best for their living situation and this forum has been very helpful.

I've got two rats which I got from PetSmart who have still not adjusted to my presence. One is starting to get over it a little but still having some anxieties. However, the other is much more scared, always in the home and sleeping, and even occasionally bites and pulls on the other's tail. I've noticed now that there is a patch on it's back. It's not red or bleeding, but it's a raw spot with no hair. I'm not sure what to think of it, but maybe a sign as to why he's so afraid? It's a little more apparent and...."there" than the picture looks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
do you see anything little crawling around on the rats back or in the crook where the legs join the body? it could be mites or lice. to treat, rub your rats with olive oil (not any other kind of oil), covering their entire bodies but being careful not to get any in the ears or eyes. meanwhile, thoroughly clean the cage, replacing all bedding. do this again in a week, and again a week later. this will ensure that all mites, lice and the resultant eggs are dead and gone. the oil smothers them, and the repeat oilings are just in case any eggs survived the oiling.

you can leave the oil on your rats, it wont hurt them or you can wait 24 hours then wash off with baby shampoo.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Looks like mites to me too. It might be an idea to get some meds (revolution, ivermectin, xenex (UK)) for them and treat them as a precaution

·
Registered
730 Posts
Could you please resize your image? I have a huge monitor and it still stretches it waaaay out.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've given your photo a temporary thumbnail. Anyone who wishes to look at it full sized can click it. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
CMurph3639 said:
Looks like he's got some crusted red built up around his nose, does that confirm that he's sick with mites?
The red crusting around his nose is porphyrin - although it doesn't confirm he has mites exactly, it is a sign of general malaise.

Your other rat can easily pick up mites (whether or not they are homed together).

I think it would be worthwhile calling your vet and asking them what they would offer to give you in this situation. You may also want to pop them in for a check up at the same time - it can't do any harm and if it is anything more sinister it can be picked up (we would hope o_O)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts