Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got all 3 of my boys from a local pet shop. I was fairly careful in selecting them, making sure to choose ones that seemed well-tempered, and healthiest. I realize that not much can be said for pet shops, and that myco is pretty common. Anywahs, I brought my boys home and for thr last few days they all seem to have the sniffles. There's no runny noses or mucus in their eyes, and apart from that they're all very active, playful, have great appetitew, etc. Their cage is not a tank, plenty well ventilates, they're on a decent paper bedding, etc. I really think it's just something they brought home from the pet shop.
So my concern with them having myco/URI is my options -
Are there homeopathic treatments? Do they clear up on their own, or not?
(I've set up a small humidifier in the room, as I read that can help their little lungs clear some)
Have people had success purchasing the common needed antibiotics themselves? If so, where do you purchase them (trustworthy source?)?

Do these types of infections tend to be recurrent?

Thanks for any/all answers to my many questions?

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you just got them, it's common for them to seem a little sneezy. They're getting adjusted to their environment. If it becomes something worse or if the sneezing stays for a long time, then you might need to worry. But it's very common in the few days after you get them for them to seem like they're sneezing.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If its just sneezing and they are bright, active and eating well then I tend to monitor and not treat immediately. If they get hunched, fluffy, lethargic or stained with a lot of porphryn then you need to treat quickly. When rats go into there new homes they often get a lowered immune system due to stress, so its not uncommon for a minor snuffle to pop up. You can give echanacia to help boost it, but most improve quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes, I know about those new home sniffles. :)
I've had them for a week now. Should those sniffles still be there, or is it possibly something more?
Thanks for the tip about watching for huncint over and such! It's comforting to know what to look for as a big warning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another warning sign of a serious URI is the sound of their breathing. If you notice that they make a strange sound when breathing (it'll almost sound like grunting or clicking), then you should get them on meds as soon as possible. Also know that some rats are just sneezy. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, awesome I'll keep a close eye out for that!
Is there a trustworthy, reliable place that any of you have had luck purchasing such antibiotics from for continued use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts