Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rescued my first rat, a female (Molly), from the feeder bin at a local pet store. She was alone in the tank at the time, and the only two males they had in the store were in a separate tank when I arrived, only because they were trying to sell them as pets. However, their mice are kept in mixed tanks, and I fear that there WERE males in with her at some point.

I know that rats have a tendency to re-arrange their bedding to their liking, and do so often. I'm worried that she may be pregnant, because of one curious behavior in particular. She keeps piling up ALL of her bedding material in one giant pile in the center of her cage. I've witnessed female mice doing this before they give birth, and wondered if this might be the same thing.

I know I should be on pregnant watch to begin with, and will be reviewing the threads in the accidental breeding forum for further signs, but I was unsure if this was a normal behavior or not. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't know much about pregnancy in rats because I haven't been in that situation before. However, I have had female rats in the past that have enjoyed making piles of bedding around the cage, one giant pile, or even a "wall" blockaded against the door of the cage. I think for them it was just entertaining. So I've seen this behavior before in non pregnant girlies, I can't help you on what other signs to watch for unfortunately. Wish you the best of luck though!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts