Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the forum, there have recently been three incidents of rats dying soon after coming down with strange symptoms. One of the rats was my baby, Skunk. I am very troubled with how similar these other two deaths are to my baby's death. I will post below what I think might be a new disease...

Symptoms:
-sudden paralysis in both hind legs
-lethargy
-refusal to eat (or trouble eating)
-death

Affected rats seemed perfectly healthy before the paralysis. No porphyrin is seen. No signs of respiratory distress are seen. Rats do not improve and eventually die within days of paralysis setting in. All rats were less than 2 years old.

Affected rats have been:
my rat, Skunk RIP
Kaey's rat, Sabir RIP
RyanH's rat, Junior RIP

Please read this and let me know if you have heard of anything like this. I am very concerned that this is a new disease (genetic or viral?) since the symptoms are so similar between the affected rats.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't know about rats but in bearded dragons impaction can cause hind-leg paralysis, bad cases can develop into front leg paralysis as well.

I believe megacolon is the same as impaction? Im not sure that it would happen that suddenly though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've had mice die of megacolon before, and Skunk definitely did not have it. he had something i've never seen before...

he was literally active, playing, happy one hour and paralyzed, lethargic, and unresponsive three hours later.

from what i've read, this is the same thing that has happened to the other rats.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are strokes that common in young rats? two of the three were not even close to 1 year old, Junior and Skunk were only 2-3 months old...it just seems so odd that they have all the same symptoms, and only in the back legs (not on one side or the other)

i thought Skunk had a stroke at first since i couldn't think of anything else it could be...and when i read the posts of the Junior and Sabir's owners, i had a horrible feeling that they were experiencing the same thing i did :( i hope it is just a coincidence

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm not sure if it's anything new. Sounds to me like a tumor, stroke or something neurological.

You have to keep a few things in mind:

Rats degenerate quickly.
Rats hide their illness and pain as long as possible.

What may appear to have come on quick and be fatal may have actually be around longer than we knew.

The best thing to do when you want to find out why a rat died is get the body necropsied by a vet that knows rats. They won't *always* find out why, but more often than not, they can.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It really does sound like a tumor or stroke or something similar. :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts