Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[align=justify][align=left]Well..I went to the petstore yesterday evening to get some treats for ma girls. And i saw THE most beautifull black hooded fuzzlet !. She is absolutly gorguess. I asked to have a look at her and she was so friendly came right up to me. And when i picked her up immediatly came on my shoulder and started grooming me !

I wanted to take her home right then. But the store said they were all getting vet checked that night as they had only just come in. She was sniffling a little bit. But no wheezing and no proper sneezing.

I am going back tonight , as i need more bedding anyway.

If she is passed..

I would love to get her , but ive heard so many stories about petstore rats :( :(

Anyone advise me before i go back tonight ??[/align]
[/align]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Possible New Rat Update - Advice needed ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get her? I know it's hard, and they're awful tempting, but don't support petstores. If you're experiancing GGMR go to a local rescue or contact a breeder.

·
Registered
227 Posts

A breeder would be best I agree, but it's hard for me to say that because my first and sweetest baby was from a pet store. :?

·
Registered
26 Posts

The rats I have now were petstore bought, and the rats I had years ago were also petstore. I could only find one breeder in my area and she never got back to me. Everyone is saying not to get a petstore rat but if you really want this rat and she was friendly and seemed healthy (though I would check about the sniffling), I'd say go for it. She will be yours to care for and it's your decision, it's not like you refusing to buy a rat from a petstore is going to stop a million other families choosing to get their animals from there.

·
Registered
486 Posts

paw-x said:
The rats I have now were petstore bought, and the rats I had years ago were also petstore. I could only find one breeder in my area and she never got back to me. Everyone is saying not to get a petstore rat but if you really want this rat and she was friendly and seemed healthy (though I would check about the sniffling), I'd say go for it. She will be yours to care for and it's your decision, it's not like you refusing to buy a rat from a petstore is going to stop a million other families choosing to get their animals from there.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Nenn said:
I have to agree with Reach. Just contact a breeder, or better yet rescue :)
ahh i see someone who hast read my last "new rat update" its still in my recent posts on my homepage...give it a read

And i checked the local rescue. They only have bucks. And wont sell them singly.

·
Registered
506 Posts

All my babies have come from pet stores, but that was because I couldn't find a breeder. The first two I got turned out to be pretty sick with URI's, a result of being kept on pine bedding. I feel that it's fine to buy from a pet store, as long as they take proper care of their animals.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks all you guys. The vet visited and said it is just a slighlt cold. ANd will clear up in know time. I am picking her up in a coupe days =) Pictures will arrive =).......now just to tell my fiance theirs gonna be a new baby.. lol

·
Registered
506 Posts

As far as I know, rats don't get colds.... they get URI's or allergy's sometimes. I wish you luck. Remember, ratties need friends or they tend to get Lonely. :p

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Kaylaface said:
As far as I know, rats don't get colds.... they get URI's or allergy's sometimes. I wish you luck. Remember, ratties need friends or they tend to get Lonely. :p

he may mean a minor URI then. But he said cold. And yeah i know lol. Ive got two girls already and after the two week quarentine hopefully they will accept the new girl :)

·
Registered
486 Posts

If I was you, as soon as you get her take her to your usual vets as soon as you can. Just to be extra careful.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Im going to be very strict about the quarentine and carefully check for the signs of illness. The vet who saw her last night was my vet. I specially asked it to be. But yes she will be vetted again after shes home.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I would say it sounds as if you have a fairly good pet store if they are willing to have their rats vetted, especially by your vet Yes, most pet stores are crap, but there are gems among them that you find from time to time. My personal action with pet stores is that if they carry puppies or kittens I will not buy for them. Same for large chains, kitten and puppies usually signify puppy mills, and large chains are notorious for being rather cruel to their small animals. I have a local pet store that is owned by a rat lover (though she has since become allergic, so she cannot keep them anymore). There are several employees who are rather well educated, with their own rats. I actually call the store first for any advice before I call my vet, as they usually know quite a lot.

All six of my girls are pet store rats (well, the four sisters were bred from Pet Co rats, but the parents had only been out of the pet store maybe a month, they were so mean (I think from poor treatment) the lady decided to breed pups for her kids, and get rid of the adults). My two that came from the above mentioned pet store are wonderful, well adjusted rats. My four bred from pet co rats are scardy rats I can barely get out of the cage (but they are slowly getting better). I was in a similar situation where there were NO breeder available, and I wasn't just going to go ratless for it.

Pink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts