Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/mice-rodents/cages/auction-987990585.htm

I'm seriously considering this home made cage, but it looks like it would need rather a lot of interior work done to it, plus the hide away area underneath doesnt seem to have any human access and would most likely end up full of rat poo. I don't really see any way to clean it easily either. The size definitely interests me though - three rats would have a field day in this if I added a few levels. What do you guys think?

This one is an option as well, but courier charges to ship it across country might be prohibitive... its much more complete, but again seems to be missing a bottom tray and looks like it would be a nightmare to clean...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/mice-rodents/cages/auction-987007148.htm

...and finally, a single level rather wide option that doesnt look much bigger than what I have now. I doubt it would be too hard to pop in another level though, and that wall in between is just crying out for several tunnels running through it...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/mice-rodents/cages/auction-987832717.htm

What do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Personally when I'm looking at cages I think about how easy it would be to clean.

First one looks the best out of the three appearance-wise. However I think your concerns are valid of how you'd clean it and how much alterations you'd have to make to it.

Second one is like you say.. It looks like a nightmare to clean. However the extras are pretty nice.

The last one looks interesting, if you stood it on it's side you'll have a lot of height for your rats. Since you can apparently pop out the front of the cage you could exchange it for another type of cage door. It's hard to say how much extra work/money you'd need to put into that one though, and at that price it might not be worth it. *shrugs*

Have you thought of building your own cage? It probably would end up costing around the same amount.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Build my own cage... Kelsbels, you are a genius! Why didnt I think of that - yeah, thats a brilliant idea! That way I could use materials I knew to be 100% safe and could tailor it to fit in my room perfectly. Brilliant!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Haha I kept mentioning "hmm you could alter this and that," and then at the end realizing that probably making your own would give you everything you'd want XD.

There should be some good tutorials online that you could look at too. Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you would consider a store bought cage, Amazon is having a really great 50-60% off sale on critter nations and double critter nations. I really love mine! and they're super easy to clean and put together/take apart to clean. But they are kinda big. But also very sturdy so you can easily store stuff under the cage on the shelf, and on top of the cage which helps with space saving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts