Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I am loving my boys, I honesty do NOT love their smell! Stinky! Even after cage cleaning there is still that lingering scent that wafts over my way when I am working at my desk. Now, I have LOTS of different exotic pets and they all have their share of the pee-yews...but my ratties odor is stronger than all the stinks put together.

So I have tried different things to get rid of the odor and think I found something that actually works...its called Bad Air sponge. Honestly noticed a difference after opening it up and placing it in the room only after 30 minutes! I swear I do not smell any lingering odor in the air. I even put one in my piggy & buns area and noticed their smell was gone too!

Now I am going to make sure my nose isn't playing tricks on me so I will monitor the odor levels for the next few days to see if it indeed has decreased. If it has, I am hooked for life on this product!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Where do you buy it from and does it smell itself (i.e. perfumy) or is it odor free? I have been looking for a solution myself and would love to hear more about this. BTW, Try using nature's miracle pet cage wipes. I've found they work pretty darn well at getting the urine odor off of bars... They are my new favorite product.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Natures Miracle cage wipes are awesome, but they're too expensive for me to use on a regular basis. I've switched to just using a rag dampened with warm water and vinegar, it works wonders and it's cheap!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Minky, if you love natures miracle, I do myself-I buy the gallon jug which is cheaper than buying wipes. Pour some into a spray bottle and I leave a rag on top of it near their cages for quick clean ups.

Big weekly clean ups I do vinegar and hot water. Any wooden items (I have some little houses and climbing things) are soaked in vinegar and then put in the oven till dry. :)

Spritzing the whole cage semi regularly with vinegar or natures miracle and letting it dry-then do it again with a wipe off and no rinse will get rid of any lingering odors that soaked into the wire or hard to reach places. Think about things like where there is wire/corners/base of cage that you can't reach very well. Either spray off in tub/outside or if too big a cage use your cleaning solution and spray heavily in those places from time to time and really let it soak.

If you still have smell issues start looking around the cage-the floor, wall, anything close to the cage that may of ended up soiled.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Where do you buy it from and does it smell itself (i.e. perfumy) or is it odor free? I have been looking for a solution myself and would love to hear more about this. BTW, Try using nature's miracle pet cage wipes. I've found they work pretty darn well at getting the urine odor off of bars... They are my new favorite product.
Hi Artgecko, I too am very interested in this....

Herewith the link if you interested in trying some: http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Air-Sponge-Odor-Neutralant/dp/B001SBMLAM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts