Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chai is probably around 3. She had an aggressive malignant tumor removed a few weeks ago and didn't recover well. That is most likely due to age. She was upset, wasn't eating much and would hurt herself trying to get out of her cage - even when housed with other rats.

We decided to give her a fully "out of the cage" experience for the rest of her life or at least until she recovered enough to want to go back in. Before the surgery, she lost use of her hind legs. The vet thinks it was hind leg degeneration due to age. She would still flop around and get where she wanted to go so I didn't pay it much mind.

Flash forward to after the surgery. She stopped wanting solid foods. Refused them. So Ensure and baby food was given to her. She refused water so we added water to the baby food and of course the Ensure kept her hydrated enough.

So now she is living out of the cage, eating baby food and Ensure with floppy legs. Still very much loving life.

She starts eating less and less every day. It is getting harder to feed her. She keeps turning down food. Last night, she surprised us by gobbling down a whole baby food lid of chicken, rice, and carrot baby food.

We thought, "Oh good, she is feeling better!".

Hours later, she cannot lift her head. She looks dead. Breathing, but can't move. She still bruxes and boggles when you sing to her, but can't do anything else. She is like a doll.

She can only eat Ensure through a syringe and is very happy to do so.

She gets annoyed when you touch her ears. She is on Baytril and Doxy and has been since the surgery.

The strange thing is... she seems happy. I don't know how to explain it.

Does this sound like a stroke?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Today Chai has been able to lift her head and keep it up. She is moving around better than she has been. She MIGHT be on the mend.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm glad Chai is feeling better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts