Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the three rats I adopted from the lab last July, the smallest one started with uri symptoms about 2 weeks ago. At first I wasn't sure if she was sick so I monitored her for a few days and she got well on her own. Like a week ago she started with the snuffles again so I started her on enrofloxacin twice a day (dosage according to the ratguide) and 3 days ago I added doxy because, although she was still ok she lost a little weight and didn't really seem to improve and looked a little puffed with a semi-closed eye.

Since I added the doxy she gained her weight back and even some more (I have to mask the antibiotics with treats or food of my own or even cookies to make her swallow them) which is nice since she had always been rather thin but I still don't find a change in the amount of times she sneezes a day and she's doing it every other hour at least. She has a little more porphyrin around her nose than usual but she's being even more friendlier and active than usual because of the amounts of attention she gets, but respiratory wise I am little concerned that the treatment is no showing any results actually.

I intend to take her to a vet but only place I can make an appointment(and I will def) for her is at the university of veterinary 2 hours away from home for mid of October so I decided to start to treat her with antibiotics in fear that until then she might catch something worse. She's not making a lot of clicking sounds and she sleeps well, I don't hear her waking up a lot to sneeze and she never gasped for air though. I gave her dark chocolate the other day when the humidity was too high but apart from that day she didn't look distressed or whatever. When she does start sneezing she does clicking sounds and ejects lots of mucus and she can sneeze from five to ten times a round which is a little scary.

I am not sure if this could in any way be related to allergies but I have a small suspicion towards that.
Either that or I don't want to think that this is worse than it looks.

Is there any chance that she could be a little affected because of all the spring pollen and stuff? She eats lab blocks along with fruits, treats and veggies and I haven't fed her anything new lately, her cage is cleaned without anything rough (detergent,water and vinegar, well rinsed), the bedding is organic corn cob without any dust only for the litter trays and she sleeps on cotton rags with 3 other female rats that are perfectly healthy. I think that she deffinitely has an uri but I just don't know if a week of constant sneezes is normal or if she can get better. Any suggestions on what to do until I can get her to the vet?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It could very well be allergies that have progressed into something more; the same way that we can develop sinus infections or respiratory infections if we leave our allergies untreated. What do you use to wash the cotton rags? Do you use fabric softeners or dryer sheets? Is there any way you can remove the corn cob litter or do a complete bedding change for about a week? I would definitely not rule out a trip to the vet since she may just be prone to URIs, but it's worth playing around with some environmental factors just to see if you can easily improve her condition. One thing that I found as a necessity of living in the desert is an air purifier. If your home is dusty or you think there may be other allergens in the air, you may want to look into a small purifier to put near the cage. I bought the cheapest one I could find and it works great.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could very well be allergies that have progressed into something more; the same way that we can develop sinus infections or respiratory infections if we leave our allergies untreated. What do you use to wash the cotton rags? Do you use fabric softeners or dryer sheets? Is there any way you can remove the corn cob litter or do a complete bedding change for about a week? I would definitely not rule out a trip to the vet since she may just be prone to URIs, but it's worth playing around with some environmental factors just to see if you can easily improve her condition. One thing that I found as a necessity of living in the desert is an air purifier. If your home is dusty or you think there may be other allergens in the air, you may want to look into a small purifier to put near the cage. I bought the cheapest one I could find and it works great.
IThank you for answering me and sorry for not replying before; I had written you an elaborated response but then it didn't load and then my keyboard fried and well I got mad :p

She's almost completely stopped sneezing now but she's still breathing a little hard ( I hear some kind of phoo phoo phoo when I put her near my ear). She hasn't gained any more weight but she has no more nose discharge and her coat looks a little less yellow.

The nesting material is mostly discarded after a few days of use because they are avid fabric chewers. I use boiling water and the same detergent I use for the cage or my own hair shampoo (I am very sensitive to some chemicals myself so it's not strong scented or anything) and I rinse it as much as I can.
I've been thinking about changing the corn cob for a while but in my country beddings are corn cob or pine shavings. I got my hands on rabbit pellets now and I will try that if you think it would be better.
She's most definitely going to the vet but the appointment is for the middle of October so I am trying to do the best for her until then. I figured that this condition untreated for a month could very well be fatal! The air purifier is sadly not an option due to my economic situation and the country where I live. In fact I don't know anyone with one of those, and the prices I saw online are close to ridiculous :( If I ever have the money I will definitely give it a second thought, though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts