Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my boys, Oreo and Butters, for a little over a month and everything's been great with them and have mad great costs for my kindergarten classroom.Yesterday during the 6th grade science fair a girl brought a female dumbo. The teachers were whispering how her mom probably wouldn't let her keep it. Turns out we were right. The student and her teacher came to me today asking if I would take her. Being the bleeding heart for animals that I am I couldn't say no. She was in a TINY container that had no ventilation. When the teacher handed me a bag bedding it said it was made from pine. She's been making these weird sounds though. Chattering/wheezing type. I'm concerned that it's a URI. It's not all the time, maybe 2-3 times an hour. She's eating, drinking, and is very friendly. She wasn't scared to climb all over me. My questions:-should I go to the vet?-is this something that could resolve itself with change in habitat and bedding?-should I keep her cage at home and away from the boys' cage at school?Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If she was being kept in a container with no ventilation and on pine bedding, the wheezing probably is a sign of a URI. Youll want to catch it before it has a chance to progress. There are home remedies you can try first (raw honey, dark chocolate, shower steam) and if those dont work or her symptoms are past that point already, you can get amoxicillin or baytril and doxy. Vets will usually give doxy and baytril for URIs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts