Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a new topic as the issue has progressed.

I took beauford to the vet on December 23rd because he was bleeding from inside his ear. The vet said he probably scratched it open because the ear was irritating him because he could have an ear infection. We started him on oral Baytril, meloxicam, and a Baytril ear drops. It bled a couple more times and I took him back to the vet and his antibiotics were increased and amoxi was added on and I was directed to keep him on the meds for 4 to 6 weeks. Wednesday morning he was normal as ever when I gave him his meds though less accepting with the amoxi. I let them out while I cleaned the cage and noticed that beauford had a lump on the side of his face.

I noticed shortly after that he had a huge blood clot or something in his ear canal that I couldn't dislodge. Made another appointment and he was fine up until we left. He managed to scratch whatever it was out or open moments before we put him in the carrier to leave. He was sedated at the vet and a little sponge and silver nitrate was applied to stop the bleeding. The vet said there's definitely something in his ear canal but without further surgery, there's no way to tell what it is. They clipped his nails as best they could, but they said they weren't particularly long or sharp. He woke up quick enough from the sedation that they didn't even have time to clip them all but was completely out of it. That is the only time he hasn't acted normal during all of this.

Symptoms he does NOT have:
Head tilt
Balance issues

Symptoms he does:
Bleeding from inner ear
Lump on side of face under said ear

He's 770g
Oral Baytril is .36mL twice daily at 22.7mg/ml (it was mentioned that I should increase this, but with his new weight I'm not sure what to increase it to)
Meloxicam is .15mL twice daily at 1.5mg/mL
Baytril Ear drops twice daily two drops
Amoxi is .5ml at 33.3mg/ml

Is there anything I can give or feed him to help blood clotting and keep his blood count up?

I plan on taking him in when his normal vet is in, but what could this be? I'm thinking ZGT? If so, what should I know and expect from the vet? What treatment could I try?

He hasn't changed through all of this. He's still extremely sweet and active and so gentle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Beauford has another vet appointment tomorrow. His jaw is misaligned and even though he was active when I got home from work, he seems very sluggish now and is laying in his Hut. He ate his meds, but not with the vigor he ate them this morning or the yogurt when I got home.

Eating yogurt

Right now

His ear

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Poor Beauford:(Vitamin K helps with blood clotting. You can try to feed him some kale or spinach for instance- they are both very high in vitamin K.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Beauford:(Vitamin K helps with blood clotting. You can try to feed him some kale or spinach for instance- they are both very high in vitamin K.
Is cooked spinach okay? He didn't really go for the raw spinach last time.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
A little trick if you rats don't eat greens or veggies easily: add a little olive oil or flax seed oil. My rats love their veggies whether cooked or raw, but they go nuts if I add one of those two oils.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is fine! Spanish is so high in vitamin K that a little cooking won't be a problem:)
A little trick if you rats don't eat greens or veggies easily: add a little olive oil or flax seed oil. My rats love their veggies whether cooked or raw, but they go nuts if I add one of those two oils.
Thank you. I'll try cooking it with a little coconut oil, he really likes that.
I can't tell from the pics but are Beauford's eye black or dark ruby? He is very handsome:)
They're black. Thank you. I think so too.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Does he seem itchy? I've seen pictures of rats with mites and they get weird issues with their ears kind of like that

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does he seem itchy? I've seen pictures of rats with mites and they get weird issues with their ears kind of like that
My entire mischief was treated for mites about a month ago with revolution. He scratches at that ear a lot, but there was what looked like infection coming from it, which is why he was put back on antibiotics.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It's possible its an ear polyp, as the little mass blocks the ear and gets big and infected and bloody. I found steroids and antibiotics kept it under control until it was time to let them go. Bleeding from the ear is a late symptom with ZGT not an early one. When you say his jaw is misaligned do you mean the teeth are grinding down unevenly or the jaw is being pushed to the side?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's possible its an ear polyp, as the little mass blocks the ear and gets big and infected and bloody. I found steroids and antibiotics kept it under control until it was time to let them go. Bleeding from the ear is a late symptom with ZGT not an early one. When you say his jaw is misaligned do you mean the teeth are grinding down unevenly or the jaw is being pushed to the side?
Yesterday it looked like his jaw was being pushed and his bottom teeth were not aligned with his top at all. It didn't quite look like that this morning. There's not way to remove an ear polyp?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vet didn't clean out anything from his ear for fear it would start bleeding. He increased his meloxicam from .15 to .25

He also switch the amoxi to Trimethoprim Sulfa
.4ml of a 48mg/ml solution

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Poor Beauford:( how long did he bleed from his ear before the blood clotting finally set in? I hope the new meds will make him feel better soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poor Beauford:( how long did he bleed from his ear before the blood clotting finally set in? I hope the new meds will make him feel better soon.
He bled for about a half hour before the vet sedated him to put silver nitrate in his ear to stop the bleeding. Maybe longer. I can't get him to take any meds right now. He's too smart for his own good. Won't take them in chicken or ham baby food, rice cereal, blueberry rice cereal, or peas and spinach rice cereal. All things he would gobble up without the meds.
Fable had an ear polyp
Thank you for the pictures. At least I'll know what I'm looking for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts