Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been considering adding on to my small mischief of two for a while now, and lately I've been following a litter that's to be "ready" towards the end of January. The litter consists of black hooded, silver black and two roans (a male and a female). The mom is a silver black and the dad is a black hooded.

Now, in a dream world I'd take all rats, no matter what they look like. In real life I can only have 3, and the OH likes roans. :p
If I am to take a pup from this litter, I would only be interested in the one roan boy;

Except I'm not sure about his markings? I'm by no means experienced with roans, but he seems to have quite a small amount of black, or? And the female roan doesn't look very "roan-ish" to me either? IDK ???

(btw, I'm talking about the actual markings, rather than the amount of roaning, obviously.)

He's the little guy with the blaze:
Dog breed Canidae Fawn Puppy Tail Puppy Canidae Fawn Paw Rodent Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog Dog breed Sky Canidae Selfie Puppy Photography

They're still super little as you can see, so I'll continue to "check up" on him.
I'm sure he'll still change a lot, but in any case, I thought I'd ask you guys - someone might have more experience with roans than me.

Do you think he'll grow up to be a handsome little roan, or would I be lying if I promised that to my OH? hehe

I want to be sure before I make any reservations with the breeder, obviously...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rat Vertebrate Mammal Muridae Mouse

The girl says she wants to keep him now.... since he was the only one I was interested in she said she's willing to part with him for double the price... hmmm
I don't know if I should. :S
He's adorable, but for that price, if I just wait a bit, I can maybe get a rat from this lady - https://www.facebook.com/Verras.Rattor/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums - who always has the CUTEST fuzzy rex babies that I've been obsessing about for over a year now. I have sent her an email saying I would be interested in a boy from her - I think she has a litter atm, even though she hasn't posted pictures yet!
But if she doesn't have a litter now or soon, it might be quite a while until another litter pops up in the area....

I guess we'll see?... hm

hard decisions.

·
Registered
996 Posts
She's probably just jacking up the price to squeeze more money out of you. =/ I'd see how she reacts to you saying you'll look elsewhere to find one for the original price. She might come back down or at least meet in the middle if she thinks she's losing out on some cash. If not, that might not be someone you want to deal with anyways...Show too much interest and she might push up the price even more...

I don't know anything about roaning, but I have to add if I had to choose between cute markings or rex fur... I'd choose rex fur every time. My Pooka is a "boring" black berkshire, but his fur is heavenly. <3 And I don't think you can ever predict how good a roan will look when it's grown. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that it'd be nearly impossible to tell if it even is roan until it starts greying out (unless I'm thinking of a different marking...). Unless, of course, you're a really experienced breeder maybe, but from the sound of that girl, she doesn't seem like one.

I'm sure either way you'll end up with a perfect ratty. <3

·
Registered
555 Posts
Like the post above said, she's just trying to make you pay more. She's being shady in my opinion. I'd tell her I was no longer interested and wouldn't deal with her anymore.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I told her that I'm not in a hurry to get a rat. If she wants to sell him at the original price, I'll take him - otherwise it feels silly to pay more for a rat that already has an owner, and I'll just wait until another one comes up.
She's now saying that she'll sell it at the normal price, with the condition that I keep her updated on his development (pictures and so on).
Apparently the story behind it is that he had some health troubles and had to be fed with formula (now I understand why she called him "Survive"), and she got really attached to him so she wants to keep and eye on him. I totally understand that - I was the same back when I had rat pups!

So I might still keep the little guy! :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Oh, good. That makes more sense. :) I'm glad she's not trying to just get more money. I hope you're able to get that little cutie. <3

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He's mine! :D
I'm picking "Survive" up either tomorrow or the day after. Trying to find a ride atm.
Super happy! I hear he's a sweetheart!

Even if he turns out not to be a roan, he's a cutie, and he has exactly what I'm looking for in a rat! He was hand reared, so he's really really tame - perfect for my OH, who unfortunately hasn't yet experienced that, and hopefully a good influence for my boys. ^^

Rat Muridae Rodent Nose Hamster Rodent Rat Muridae Squirrel Mouse

Wish me luck with the intros! It's my first time introducing males.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts