Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I might be getting some little youngsters tomorrow.. And these are about 8 weeks and I really don't know what to expect.. I put the ramps back in my cage and I have a wheel and a few chew toys but what should I expect from little babies ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just make sure the bars on the cage are small enough that they can't excape, i would put the cage in their free rage space for the first few hours just to make sure if you have any speculation.

Babies can be a bit more hyper but as we all know every rat is diffrent so don't be surprised if one isn't as rambunctious!

Be ready for them to be skidding of you at first even if they where handles a lot as babies, your still a brand new very big hand to them but don't give up they will love you eventually!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes make sure your bar spacing isn't anywhere above probably 3/4 inch. Mine was a little less than an inch and my little girl could escape until she was 12 weeks old. What a hassle! lol I never expected that when I got her. My boys were 4 months old when I got them so getting a 5 week old was so tiny I couldn't believe it. One thing is, babies are very hyper and especially if they are girls. I also noticed mine is so much more agile than my boys. She can literally climb the walls lol she's crazy and doesn't listen. She is super sassy and i think that's mostly because she is a baby and it's like having a human toddler. I've seen her learn how to jump and figure out new things and become more loving with me but right now it's really just a struggle with her destructiveness and i was told that is common with girls/babies and that it gets better with age. And I would also imagine she will listen to me better with age because she doesn't really trust me completely yet even though I've had her almost 3 months. so just be prepared they might be very active and keep you on your toes as far as destructiveness goes. My Rose loves to dig holes in the carpet...they are cute as can be though let me tell you. Hard to be mad at them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You shouldn't have to have the ramps. The cage with our younger ones we removed most of the ramps or turned them into ledges and ladders. Helps the babies run off their energy more. They never seem to use the ramps much anyway, tbh. We did that especially with our boys. I've seen a lot about keeping boys moving, since they can get lazy as they age, so our boys cage is more of a challange to get around then the girls. But expect orginized chaos. Not as bad as 4wks but close. XD

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, are they boys or girls? Lol.

Youngsters are always more energetic but in my experience the females are just nuts when they are little. They are crazy fast and agile for the most part. But they are also a lot of fun. :) Lots of bouncing around and popcorning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.