Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hasn't been that long so I wouldn't expect it to have gone through yet, but sort of a nudge for someone to check the moderation queue since my first post said it needed approval and I don't know if you guys get notified or have to actually think to check... :)

And at the same time, sort of a suggestion? Perhaps the welcome PM/thread could be added to, to include some things which newbies may want to avoid doing in first posts which cause them to go to the queue? Like I saw in some other threads about first posts not being approved that putting images (which I did) or links in can cause it to require moderation, or if there are any other known triggers for it.

I think it'd be handy to know first, especially with the three post rule. There's only so many times I can say, "Yeah.. newbie here, too... welcome... to somewhere you joined before me," before I start feeling kinda daft. ;)

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Fair enough. The down side is though, that I can't give you a good guideline for how posts go into moderation, because I don't know exactly myself. We use a piece of software that we purchased from a Spam prevention company, and they keep the exact specifications of the software a closely guarded secret. The reasoning is that listing all the ways it catches thing would be as good as making a map of how to beat it.

But, general guidlines are images, links, usernames that are just random letters and numbers, same for emails, etc. It also checks registered info against a database of known spammers in the past. All that, plus more, means it has a bit of a mind of it's own and can be hard to figure out what triggered it, but overall it does more good then harm.

I approved your post that was in limbo for you

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts